Re: Cool'n Quiet on LS2 MIPS

  • oseyboldt
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
      To those who successfully installed the Cool´n Quiet Script on LS2,
      could anyone post the scipts to the Files-Section? I have still the
      scripts from frenchy and did not suceed in adapting them.
      I´m convinced, also some others would be very happy about it!

      Many thanks in advance,
      Oliver

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prezet2005"

      <serenity@w...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > then they need to do it
      > > (c) after calling smartctl, call hdparm -y /dev/hda3 because the
      disk
      > > will have been woken out of standby
      > >
      > > BTW what does AVR stand for?
      > >
      > > > # AVR
      > > > #
      > > > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
      > >

      > > Woody
      > >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prezet2005"
      <powell.lee.
      > > imac@g...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've been having a look at Cool&Quiet on the MIPSEL, I was/am
      > > getting the problem of
      > > > getting C&Q to run properly because my drive wouldn't stay in
      > > standby mode for very long
      > > > before Samba and 'kupdated' would ping the drive and spin it
      back
      > > up. Which renders
      > > > C&Q useless because it's very rarely in standby mode.
      > > >
      > > > Due to this I've been working on a script which is called by
      cron
      > > every ten minutes that
      > > > checks the disks spinning status, and/or temp and adjusts the
      fan
      > > speed accordingly. It's
      > > > still a working project, but here's the script I'm using:
      > > >
      > > > #!/bin/sh
      > > >
      > > > # HD
      > > > #
      > > > MAX_TEMP=35
      > > > DISKSLEEP="$(/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/hda | /bin/grep 'standby' -
      c)"

      > > > # AVR
      > > > #
      > > > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
      > > > SLOW="\\\\"
      > > > FAST="]]]]"
      > > >

      > > > # ... we need to be 'root'
      > > > #
      > > > if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
      > > > echo "You need 'root' permissions for this script. Try 'sudo
      > > silence'."
      > > > exit 1
      > > > fi
      > > >
      > > > if [ "$DISKSLEEP" = 1 ]; then
      > > > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
      > > > else
      > > > HD_TEMP=`smartctl -A /dev/hda | awk '/^194/ { print($10) }'`
      > > > echo "Current HDD Temperature: $HD_TEMP"
      > > > if [ $HD_TEMP -le $MAX_TEMP ]; then
      > > > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
      > > > else
      > > > echo "${FAST}" > $TTY
      > > > fi
      > > > fi
      > > >
      > > > exit 0
      > > >
      > > > Basically, it checks if the HDD is in standby, if it is the
      fan
      > > speed is set to low. Else, it
      > > > checks the HDD temperature, if the temp is over 35c it allows
      the
      > > fan to move to high, else
      > > > sets it to low.
      > > >
      > > > I also found that if you access 'smartctl' to obtain thr hdd
      temp it
      > > spins the drive back up,
      > > > so it useless to use when the drive is alseep, hence it is

    • jhaveri
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 15, 2005
        Hi:

        I got tired of the slow samba serving speed on NSLU2 and got the LS2
        (MIPS based) yesterday . I flashed it with openlink, installed
        twonkey, smart monitoring tool, and other development tools. Works
        like a charm, I can serve high bitrate DVDs to MG-35 with no
        stutter.

        However, the fan is really noisy, and I plan to keep LS2 on 24/7.
        The following Cool'n Qiet script modified for LS2 will be
        nice to use if someone has more info on it. Is it OK to use the
        script as it is, or is there an updated one?

        Thanks again to the LS Development team.

        Regards,

        Bharat

        <powell.lee.imac@g...> wrote:

        > I've been having a look at Cool&Quiet on the MIPSEL, I was/am
        getting the problem of
        > getting C&Q to run properly because my drive wouldn't stay in
        standby mode for very long
        > before Samba and 'kupdated' would ping the drive and spin it back
        up. Which renders
        > C&Q useless because it's very rarely in standby mode.
        >
        > Due to this I've been working on a script which is called by cron
        every ten minutes that
        > checks the disks spinning status, and/or temp and adjusts the fan
        speed accordingly. It's
        > still a working project, but here's the script I'm using:
        >
        > #!/bin/sh
        >
        > # HD
        > #
        > MAX_TEMP=35
        > DISKSLEEP="$(/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/hda | /bin/grep 'standby' -c)"
        >
        > # AVR
        > #
        > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
        > SLOW="\\\\"
        > FAST="]]]]"
        >

        > # ... we need to be 'root'
        > #
        > if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
        > echo "You need 'root' permissions for this script. Try 'sudo
        silence'."
        > exit 1
        > fi
        >
        > if [ "$DISKSLEEP" = 1 ]; then
        > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
        > else
        > HD_TEMP=`smartctl -A /dev/hda | awk '/^194/ { print($10) }'`
        > echo "Current HDD Temperature: $HD_TEMP"
        > if [ $HD_TEMP -le $MAX_TEMP ]; then
        > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
        > else
        > echo "${FAST}" > $TTY
        > fi
        > fi
        >
        > exit 0
        >
        > Basically, it checks if the HDD is in standby, if it is the fan
        speed is set to low. Else, it
        > checks the HDD temperature, if the temp is over 35c it allows the
        fan to move to high, else
        > sets it to low.
        >
        > I also found that if you access 'smartctl' to obtain thr hdd temp
        it spins the drive back up,
        > so it useless to use when the drive is alseep, hence it is called
        late in the process.

      • prb0x
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 15, 2005
          Half the talk on here is about noisy fans.

          I have a great cheap solution that's quite straightforward and does
          not require taking apart your unit.

          Take the linkstation and put it somewhere where you won't hear it.

          I've done this on my MIPs linkstaiton and it works fine. Once I work
          out how to port this over to my PPC linkstation I will do that.

          08:10:59 up 94 days, 20:37, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.19

          It's not as if I have to keep on turning the thing on and off. That's
          the only reason it needs to be close by isn't it?

          If anyone needs help them I'm prepared to write a detailed guide with
          illustrations and photos.

          Cheers,
          Al