Re: Cool'n Quiet on LS2 MIPS

  • prezet2005
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
      Thanks woody - I've been working on this a bit recently, and since my post a number of
      things have changed. Firstly I've stopped allowing cron to run the job as it 'wakes' the
      box, and am now running it in /etc/init.d on a loop, which seems to be working well.

      (a) Logging is still to add at a later date.
      (b) I had the same problem of the box not spinning down, it came down to 2 processes
      which kept waking the box: ftp and samba, once I turned both of them off it sleeps like a
      baby. I've also run logging tests of the temperature of the drive while in spun down mode
      and it cools quickly.
      (c) I don't want to allow smartctl to check the temp while sleeping, as I'm running the
      script to check every 1 minute, if I allowed it to check the box wold never sleep.

      The AVR does lots of things, but importantly controls the speed of the fan.

      Will keep you updated once I get the script progressed..

      Lee

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Woody" <serenity@w...> wrote:

> [...]
      > otherwise we might just be catching it after a load of activity but
      > in fact it is quite hot. However doesn't seem much chance of that
      > even though I set called hdparm -S6 /dev/hda3 (spin down after
      > 30 seconds) it is not spinning down. I really don't want to
      > get into why this is: if there are processes that need to do IO
      > then they need to do it
      > (c) after calling smartctl, call hdparm -y /dev/hda3 because the disk
      > will have been woken out of standby
      >
      > BTW what does AVR stand for?
      >
      > > # AVR
      > > #
      > > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
      >

      > Woody
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prezet2005" <powell.lee.
      > imac@g...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been having a look at Cool&Quiet on the MIPSEL, I was/am
      > getting the problem of
      > > getting C&Q to run properly because my drive wouldn't stay in
      > standby mode for very long
      > > before Samba and 'kupdated' would ping the drive and spin it back
      > up. Which renders
      > > C&Q useless because it's very rarely in standby mode.
      > >
      > > Due to this I've been working on a script which is called by cron
      > every ten minutes that
      > > checks the disks spinning status, and/or temp and adjusts the fan
      > speed accordingly. It's
      > > still a working project, but here's the script I'm using:
      > >
      > > #!/bin/sh
      > >
      > > # HD
      > > #
      > > MAX_TEMP=35
      > > DISKSLEEP="$(/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/hda | /bin/grep 'standby' -c)"
      > >
      > > # AVR
      > > #
      > > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
      > > SLOW="\\\\"
      > > FAST="]]]]"
      > >

      > > # ... we need to be 'root'
      > > #
      > > if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
      > > echo "You need 'root' permissions for this script. Try 'sudo
      > silence'."
      > > exit 1
      > > fi
      > >
      > > if [ "$DISKSLEEP" = 1 ]; then
      > > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
      > > else
      > > HD_TEMP=`smartctl -A /dev/hda | awk '/^194/ { print($10) }'`
      > > echo "Current HDD Temperature: $HD_TEMP"
      > > if [ $HD_TEMP -le $MAX_TEMP ]; then
      > > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
      > > else
      > > echo "${FAST}" > $TTY
      > > fi
      > > fi
      > >
      > > exit 0
      > >
      > > Basically, it checks if the HDD is in standby, if it is the fan
      > speed is set to low. Else, it
      > > checks the HDD temperature, if the temp is over 35c it allows the
      > fan to move to high, else
      > > sets it to low.
      > >
      > > I also found that if you access 'smartctl' to obtain thr hdd temp it
      > spins the drive back up,
      > > so it useless to use when the drive is alseep, hence it is called

    • oseyboldt
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 21, 2005
        To those who successfully installed the Cool´n Quiet Script on LS2,
        could anyone post the scipts to the Files-Section? I have still the
        scripts from frenchy and did not suceed in adapting them.
        I´m convinced, also some others would be very happy about it!

        Many thanks in advance,
        Oliver

        <powell.lee.imac@g...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > HD_TEMP=`smartctl -A /dev/hda | awk '/^194/ { print($10) }'`
        > > > echo "Current HDD Temperature: $HD_TEMP"
        > > > if [ $HD_TEMP -le $MAX_TEMP ]; then
        > > > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
        > > > else
        > > > echo "${FAST}" > $TTY
        > > > fi
        > > > fi
        > > >
        > > > exit 0
        > > >
        > > > Basically, it checks if the HDD is in standby, if it is the
        fan
        > > speed is set to low. Else, it
        > > > checks the HDD temperature, if the temp is over 35c it allows
        the
        > > fan to move to high, else
        > > > sets it to low.
        > > >
        > > > I also found that if you access 'smartctl' to obtain thr hdd
        temp it
        > > spins the drive back up,
        > > > so it useless to use when the drive is alseep, hence it is

      • jhaveri
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 15, 2005
          Hi:

          I got tired of the slow samba serving speed on NSLU2 and got the LS2
          (MIPS based) yesterday . I flashed it with openlink, installed
          twonkey, smart monitoring tool, and other development tools. Works
          like a charm, I can serve high bitrate DVDs to MG-35 with no
          stutter.

          However, the fan is really noisy, and I plan to keep LS2 on 24/7.
          The following Cool'n Qiet script modified for LS2 will be
          nice to use if someone has more info on it. Is it OK to use the
          script as it is, or is there an updated one?

          Thanks again to the LS Development team.

          Regards,

          Bharat

          <powell.lee.imac@g...> wrote:

          > I've been having a look at Cool&Quiet on the MIPSEL, I was/am
          getting the problem of
          > getting C&Q to run properly because my drive wouldn't stay in
          standby mode for very long
          > before Samba and 'kupdated' would ping the drive and spin it back
          up. Which renders
          > C&Q useless because it's very rarely in standby mode.
          >
          > Due to this I've been working on a script which is called by cron
          every ten minutes that
          > checks the disks spinning status, and/or temp and adjusts the fan
          speed accordingly. It's
          > still a working project, but here's the script I'm using:
          >
          > #!/bin/sh
          >
          > # HD
          > #
          > MAX_TEMP=35
          > DISKSLEEP="$(/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/hda | /bin/grep 'standby' -c)"
          >
          > # AVR
          > #
          > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
          > SLOW="\\\\"
          > FAST="]]]]"
          >

          > # ... we need to be 'root'
          > #
          > if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
          > echo "You need 'root' permissions for this script. Try 'sudo
          silence'."
          > exit 1
          > fi
          >
          > if [ "$DISKSLEEP" = 1 ]; then
          > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
          > else
          > HD_TEMP=`smartctl -A /dev/hda | awk '/^194/ { print($10) }'`
          > echo "Current HDD Temperature: $HD_TEMP"
          > if [ $HD_TEMP -le $MAX_TEMP ]; then
          > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
          > else
          > echo "${FAST}" > $TTY
          > fi
          > fi
          >
          > exit 0
          >
          > Basically, it checks if the HDD is in standby, if it is the fan
          speed is set to low. Else, it
          > checks the HDD temperature, if the temp is over 35c it allows the
          fan to move to high, else
          > sets it to low.
          >
          > I also found that if you access 'smartctl' to obtain thr hdd temp
          it spins the drive back up,
          > so it useless to use when the drive is alseep, hence it is called
          late in the process.

        • prb0x
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 15, 2005
            Half the talk on here is about noisy fans.

            I have a great cheap solution that's quite straightforward and does
            not require taking apart your unit.

            Take the linkstation and put it somewhere where you won't hear it.

            I've done this on my MIPs linkstaiton and it works fine. Once I work
            out how to port this over to my PPC linkstation I will do that.

            08:10:59 up 94 days, 20:37, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.19

            It's not as if I have to keep on turning the thing on and off. That's
            the only reason it needs to be close by isn't it?

            If anyone needs help them I'm prepared to write a detailed guide with
            illustrations and photos.

            Cheers,
            Al