Setting up LinkStation FTP Access

  • wedes7711
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2005
      I know that setting up my LinkStation 250 FTP server flor external
      access is possible, however I'm having a hair-tearing time trying to
      get the external access part working. I've done all the 'normal' things:

      LinkStation:
      1) activated annon FTP access to a read/write unrestricted folder
      2) assigned a static IP (192.168.1.3)to the LinkStation
      3) entered the default gateway address of the router (192.168.1.1)
      into the IP setup

      Linksys WRT54GX router:
      1) Forward port 21 to the LinkStation IP
      2) Forwarded additional TCP ports (5000-5124) to the LS IP

      Results:
      1) From inside my network, FTP access works fine
      2) Using the external WAN IP, accessing FTP from outside tries very
      hard to work with the following results in the FTP client:
      "Connecting to 72.140.xxx.157"
      "Connected with 72.140.xxx.157. Waiting for welcome message"
      (long pause)
      "Disconnected from server. Unable to connect."

      I know that others have actually gotten this working, so does anyone
      have any ideas as to what I'm missing here??
    • gouldyis
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711" <chris@a...>
        wrote:

        > I know that setting up my LinkStation 250 FTP server flor external
        > access is possible, however I'm having a hair-tearing time trying
        > get the external access part working. I've done all the 'normal'
        things:

        > LinkStation:
        > 1) activated annon FTP access to a read/write unrestricted folder
        > 2) assigned a static IP (192.168.1.3)to the LinkStation
        > 3) entered the default gateway address of the router (192.168.1.1)
        > into the IP setup
        >
        > Linksys WRT54GX router:
        > 1) Forward port 21 to the LinkStation IP
        > 2) Forwarded additional TCP ports (5000-5124) to the LS IP
        >
        > Results:
        > 1) From inside my network, FTP access works fine
        > 2) Using the external WAN IP, accessing FTP from outside tries very
        > hard to work with the following results in the FTP client:
        > "Connecting to 72.140.xxx.157"
        > "Connected with 72.140.xxx.157. Waiting for welcome message"
        > (long pause)
        > "Disconnected from server. Unable to connect."
        >
        > I know that others have actually gotten this working, so does
        anyone
        > have any ideas as to what I'm missing here??

        I could never test or contact mine from 'inside' my network. You
        have to try to contact it from outside the network, and are you sure
        that your static IP is not within the range set for DHCP by your
        router?

      • wedes7711
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2005
          I have the 'starting address' for DHCP set to 192.168.1.100, and the static IP for the Linkstation set to 192.168.1.3, so I'm thinking I should be OK on this point...

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis" <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711" chris@a...
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I know that setting up my LinkStation 250 FTP server flor external
          > > access is possible, however I'm having a hair-tearing time trying
          > > get the external access part working. I've done all the 'normal'
          > things:
          > >
          > > LinkStation:
          > > 1) activated annon FTP access to a read/write unrestricted folder
          > > 2) assigned a static IP (192.168.1.3)to the LinkStation
          > > 3) entered the default gateway address of the router (192.168.1.1)
          > > into the IP setup
          > >
          > > Linksys WRT54GX router:
          > > 1) Forward port 21 to the LinkStation IP
          > > 2) Forwarded additional TCP ports (5000-5124) to the LS IP
          > >
          > > Results:
          > > 1) From inside my network, FTP access works fine
          > > 2) Using the external WAN IP, accessing FTP from outside tries very
          > > hard to work with the following results in the FTP client:
          > > "Connecting to 72.140.xxx.157"
          > > "Connected with 72.140.xxx.157. Waiting for welcome message"
          > > (long pause)
          > > "Disconnected from server. Unable to connect."
          > >
          > > I know that others have actually gotten this working, so does
          > anyone
          > > have any ideas as to what I'm missing here??
          >
          > I could never test or contact mine from 'inside' my network. You
          > have to try to contact it from outside the network, and are you sure
          > that your static IP is not within the range set for DHCP by your
          > router?

        • prezet2005
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2005
            From the sounds of things the external client is trying to connect passively to your ftp.
            The stock ftp doesn't support passive connections, and hence this is why you're getting
            this 'non-connection'

            Passive FTP requires a random port to be allocated by the FTP server. The stock FTP server
            included on the LinkStations doesn't specify which port range this port should be taken
            from, hence it probably picks a port that is blocked by your firewall.

            I found this to be a very helpful article:
            http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc/contrib/ProFTPD-mini-HOWTO-NAT.html

            Try to connect to the FTP server with passive connection turned OFF.

            If you can connect then this is the problem. Let me know how you get on, if this is the
            problem I'll guide you through how to edit the proftpd.conf file (as this file is rewritten
            everytime the box is booted'.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711" <chris@a...> wrote:

            > I have the 'starting address' for DHCP set to 192.168.1.100, and the static IP for the
            Linkstation set to 192.168.1.3, so I'm thinking I should be OK on this point...

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis" <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711" chris@a...
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I know that setting up my LinkStation 250 FTP server flor external
            > > > access is possible, however I'm having a hair-tearing time trying
            > > > get the external access part working. I've done all the 'normal'
            > > things:
            > > >
            > > > LinkStation:
            > > > 1) activated annon FTP access to a read/write unrestricted folder
            > > > 2) assigned a static IP (192.168.1.3)to the LinkStation
            > > > 3) entered the default gateway address of the router (192.168.1.1)
            > > > into the IP setup
            > > >
            > > > Linksys WRT54GX router:
            > > > 1) Forward port 21 to the LinkStation IP
            > > > 2) Forwarded additional TCP ports (5000-5124) to the LS IP
            > > >
            > > > Results:
            > > > 1) From inside my network, FTP access works fine
            > > > 2) Using the external WAN IP, accessing FTP from outside tries very
            > > > hard to work with the following results in the FTP client:
            > > > "Connecting to 72.140.xxx.157"
            > > > "Connected with 72.140.xxx.157. Waiting for welcome message"
            > > > (long pause)
            > > > "Disconnected from server. Unable to connect."
            > > >
            > > > I know that others have actually gotten this working, so does
            > > anyone
            > > > have any ideas as to what I'm missing here??
            > >
            > > I could never test or contact mine from 'inside' my network. You
            > > have to try to contact it from outside the network, and are you sure
            > > that your static IP is not within the range set for DHCP by your
            > > router?

          • wedes7711
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21, 2005
              I turned the FTP client (CuteFTP) to PORT mode and still get the same
              result as before:

              STATUS:> Getting listing ""...
              STATUS:> Connecting to FTP server 72.x.x.x:21 (ip = 72.x.x.x)...
              STATUS:> Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
              ERROR:> Control connection closed.

              My assumption in reading your note was the the port forwarding on the
              router was 'correct', and the beyond turning FTP 'on' on the
              LInkStation, there are no other settings available. Is this true?

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prezet2005"
              <powell.lee.imac@g...> wrote:

              > From the sounds of things the external client is trying to connect
              passively to your ftp.
              > The stock ftp doesn't support passive connections, and hence this is
              why you're getting
              > this 'non-connection'
              >
              > Passive FTP requires a random port to be allocated by the FTP
              server. The stock FTP server
              > included on the LinkStations doesn't specify which port range this
              port should be taken
              > from, hence it probably picks a port that is blocked by your firewall.
              >
              > I found this to be a very helpful article:
              > http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc/contrib/ProFTPD-mini-HOWTO-NAT.html
              >
              > Try to connect to the FTP server with passive connection turned OFF.
              >
              > If you can connect then this is the problem. Let me know how you
              get on, if this is the
              > problem I'll guide you through how to edit the proftpd.conf file (as
              this file is rewritten
              > everytime the box is booted'.
              >

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711" <chris@a...>
              wrote:

              > > I have the 'starting address' for DHCP set to 192.168.1.100, and
              the static IP for the
              > Linkstation set to 192.168.1.3, so I'm thinking I should be OK on
              this point...

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
              <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711" chris@a...

              > > > things:

              > > > anyone
              > > >
              > > > I could never test or contact mine from 'inside' my network. You
              > > > have to try to contact it from outside the network, and are you
              sure
              > > > that your static IP is not within the range set for DHCP by your
              > > > router?

            • simonashley
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 22, 2005
                I used this website for testing mine. It allows you to logon to your
                ftp server when inside the network.

                www.net2ftp.com

                <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711"
                <chris@a...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I know that setting up my LinkStation 250 FTP server flor
                external
                > > access is possible, however I'm having a hair-tearing time
                trying
                > > get the external access part working. I've done all the 'normal'
                > things:
                > >
                > > LinkStation:
                > > 1) activated annon FTP access to a read/write unrestricted folder
                > > 2) assigned a static IP (192.168.1.3)to the LinkStation
                > > 3) entered the default gateway address of the router
                (192.168.1.1)
                > > into the IP setup
                > >
                > > Linksys WRT54GX router:
                > > 1) Forward port 21 to the LinkStation IP
                > > 2) Forwarded additional TCP ports (5000-5124) to the LS IP
                > >
                > > Results:
                > > 1) From inside my network, FTP access works fine
                > > 2) Using the external WAN IP, accessing FTP from outside tries
                very
                > > hard to work with the following results in the FTP client:
                > > "Connecting to 72.140.xxx.157"
                > > "Connected with 72.140.xxx.157. Waiting for welcome message"
                > > (long pause)
                > > "Disconnected from server. Unable to connect."
                > >
                > > I know that others have actually gotten this working, so does
                > anyone
                > > have any ideas as to what I'm missing here??
                >
                > I could never test or contact mine from 'inside' my network. You
                > have to try to contact it from outside the network, and are you
                sure
                > that your static IP is not within the range set for DHCP by your
                > router?

              • prezet2005
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 22, 2005
                  You'll be able to ftp to the box from a computer on the network with the the internal ip
                  address 192.186...etc, but to test the external IP you'll need to use a connection outside of
                  your local lan.

                  If you install openlink and tools, you will be able to hack around a few scripts to allow you
                  to make additional ftp configuration settings. But this cannot be done on a stock
                  machine.