Re: Norton Ghost - NTFS drive image from ext3 partition to new drive?

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 20, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pennhavn"
      <pennhaven@t...> wrote:
      > Thanks much, that pretty well confirms what I had suspected. Fearing
      > this, a switch to TrueImage already had been my "Plan B". However,
      > before I go this route I need to confirm that the TrueImage Linux boot
      > CD can not only read ext3 but also restore an NTFS partition.

      I am shure it does. I boot with the Acronis linux CD to backup my XP
      partition to an external drive and I can (at least it is offered to
      me, but 'till now there was no need to try it out) restore this
      partition, of course.

      But you may want to check the documentation and/or download the free
      trial:
      http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features.html

      Best,
      h.
    • pennhavn
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 26, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
        <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pennhavn"
        > <pennhaven@t...> wrote:
        > > Thanks much, that pretty well confirms what I had suspected. Fearing
        > > this, a switch to TrueImage already had been my "Plan B". However,
        > > before I go this route I need to confirm that the TrueImage Linux boot
        > > CD can not only read ext3 but also restore an NTFS partition.
        >
        > I am shure it does. I boot with the Acronis linux CD to backup my XP
        > partition to an external drive and I can (at least it is offered to
        > me, but 'till now there was no need to try it out) restore this
        > partition, of course.
        >
        > But you may want to check the documentation and/or download the free
        > trial:
        > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features.html
        >
        > Best,
        > h.

        Thanks much H.

        Here are some findings, in case anyone else wants to use their
        LinkStation for PC partition backup images.

        I downloaded the latest True Image 9 to do some testing. From what I
        have seen it appears to work as you reported. Generally I was
        impressed with True Image since it has a much more intuitive user
        interface than Ghost 9. This is especially true for the recovery boot CD.

        Unfortunately I also found TI 9 still has some bugs that need to be
        worked out before I will purchase it. While it seems to work fine for
        creating a backup image of a complete partition, it freezes up tight
        when I try to use it's folder / file imaging feature. Too bad, as that
        would be a great way to back up only data folders. My backup strategy
        is to back up my data files frequently, but only create a backup of
        the primary partition image every week or after major software
        installations.

        I still do not know, one way or the other, whether the Ghost recovery
        disk will read an ext3 drive that is attached directly to the PC, but
        I plan to find out eventually. In the mean time I have a work around.
        After some testing it is clear that the Ghost recovery disk can read
        an image from the LinkStation over the network. (This requires running
        a utility on the recovery disk to map the LinkStation drive, while
        True Image's much slicker recovery disk performs the local network
        mapping transparently.) Since Ghost can access the LinkStation it
        should also be able to read a USB drive attached to the LinkStation.

        So I plan to attach my USB drive to the LinkStation, let the LS
        reformat it as ext3 and back up the LinkStation to the USB drive. This
        way I will have backup images of my PC's primary partition on both the
        LinkStation and the USB drive. As long as the LinkStation is operable
        I should be able to restore from either drive. Once I have this set up
        I will test Ghost with the USB drive connected directly to the PC. If
        this does not work, when I get ambitious I may go so far as to remove
        the drive from the USB enclosure and connect it to the EIDE interface
        in the computer, and test it this way, as it would be nice to know
        that I can restore directly from the ext3 drive without using the
        LinkStation.
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 26, 2005
> [...]
          > mapping transparently.) Since Ghost can access the LinkStation it
          > should also be able to read a USB drive attached to the LinkStation.
          >
          > So I plan to attach my USB drive to the LinkStation, let the LS
          > reformat it as ext3 and back up the LinkStation to the USB drive. This
          > way I will have backup images of my PC's primary partition on both the
          > LinkStation and the USB drive. As long as the LinkStation is operable
          > I should be able to restore from either drive. Once I have this set up
          > I will test Ghost with the USB drive connected directly to the PC. If
          > this does not work, when I get ambitious I may go so far as to remove
          > the drive from the USB enclosure and connect it to the EIDE interface
          > in the computer, and test it this way, as it would be nice to know
          > that I can restore directly from the ext3 drive without using the

          The Ghost recovery disks are DOS based at least as of Ghost 2003. There are
          DOS drivers that can mount an ext2 partition but I don't think that there is
          one for ext3. I would start by finding and testing a DOS ext2/3 driver as
          that's going to be your show stopper.
        • haberschnasel
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 26, 2005
            <pennhaven@t...> wrote:

            > Unfortunately I also found TI 9 still has some bugs that need to be
            > worked out before I will purchase it. While it seems to work fine for
            > creating a backup image of a complete partition, it freezes up tight
            > when I try to use it's folder / file imaging feature. Too bad, as that
            > would be a great way to back up only data folders. My backup strategy
            > is to back up my data files frequently, but only create a backup of
            > the primary partition image every week or after major software
            > installations.

            I never used this feature. I keep all my data files on the LS and back
            them up via RSYNC to an attached USB drive each night. So maybe the TI
            bug you mentioned went unnoticed.
          • pennhavn
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 27, 2005
              <jronald@c...> wrote:

              > The Ghost recovery disks are DOS based at least as of Ghost 2003.
              There are
              > DOS drivers that can mount an ext2 partition but I don't think that
              there is
              > one for ext3. I would start by finding and testing a DOS ext2/3
              driver as
              > that's going to be your show stopper.

              Appreciate your effort to be helpful. Unfortunately "at least as of
              Ghost 2003" is the important qualifier. It seems that the Ghost
              "engine" was replaced after 2003. This is one reason why the
              documentation on Symantec's "support" site is so unhelpful, as nearly
              all of it seems to refer to the earlier versions.

              From an informative article:
              http://www.softpanorama.org/Articles/a_slightly_skeptical_view_on_norton_ghost.shtml

              "Norton Ghost 9 (which is actually rebranded [Power Quest] Drive
              Image, a different product from the original Norton Ghost) ha[s a] so
              called Symantec Recovery Disk...

              Norton Ghost 9.0 also offers increased driver and interface support
              for USB, USB2 and FireWire removable storage devices in comparison
              with Ghost 2003. That provides the possibility of restoring the image
              from USB2 or FireWire disk...

              This version of Ghost also supports Linux EXT2 file system apart from
              FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS..."

              The bottom line is that this is a very confusing topic, and (based on
              my search efforts anyway) it is very difficult to find definitive answers.