Re: [LinkStation_General] HD-HGLAN 250 GB has become a brick after firmware update

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 19, 2005
      Ugarit

      The term firmware is used very loosely in the Linkstation world (I think
      buffalo started it) and usually refers to all the software installed by the
      buffalo installer. You are correct the actual firmware is really just what
      resides in the flash memory. Also, I doubt that your firmware is the
      problem. If it is, you have what we call a brick or a door stop as there is
      really nothing you can do to fix it. I believe in your case, and most
      cases, the problem is most likely that software did not install correctly to
      the hard drive and deleting the partitions and reinstalling the software via
      the installer fixes the problem 99% of the time. In regard to installing
      Debian, I was just saying that so long as you have the case apart you may as
      well install debian and be done with it. Once you have Debian installed
      it's very easy to install any software packages you like. You also get to
      setup the partitions anyway you like.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 20, 2005
        Thanks James. BTW, do you know how to open an
        HD-HGLAN250GB? There is a pushable table on the
        bottom and top. I push them and nothing seems to get
        loose.

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 21, 2005
          Here is my pictorial on the subject:

          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/linkstation/Disassembly.html

          Note however that most people take the time to peel the front label
          off and properly removing the front screws instead of ripping them
          out like I did (Hey I didn't know they were there at the time).

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ugarit Ebla
          <ugaritebla@y...> wrote:

          > Thanks James. BTW, do you know how to open an
          > HD-HGLAN250GB? There is a pushable table on the
          > bottom and top. I push them and nothing seems to get
          > loose.
          >
          > --- James Ronald <jronald@c...> wrote:
          >
          > > Ugarit
          > >
          > > The term firmware is used very loosely in the
          > > Linkstation world (I think
          > > buffalo started it) and usually refers to all the
          > > software installed by the
          > > buffalo installer. You are correct the actual
          > > firmware is really just what
          > > resides in the flash memory. Also, I doubt that
          > > your firmware is the
          > > problem. If it is, you have what we call a brick or
          > > a door stop as there is
          > > really nothing you can do to fix it. I believe in
          > > your case, and most
          > > cases, the problem is most likely that software did
          > > not install correctly to
          > > the hard drive and deleting the partitions and
          > > reinstalling the software via
          > > the installer fixes the problem 99% of the time. In
          > > regard to installing
          > > Debian, I was just saying that so long as you have
          > > the case apart you may as
          > > well install debian and be done with it. Once you
          > > have Debian installed
          > > it's very easy to install any software packages you
          > > like. You also get to
          > > setup the partitions anyway you like.

        • Ugarit Ebla
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22, 2005
            Thank you James and Simeon

            I found this one where the harddrive does not need to
            be removed

            http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralDisassemble

            http://farechase.yahoo.com