Which processor is used in the HD-HGLAN?

  • ugaritebla
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
      Which processor is used in the HD-HGLAN?

      I plan to upgrade the firmware so I can install the slimserver. Any
      links would help. I'm looking at
      http://linkstationwiki.org/Information/Information for upgrades but
      don'nt know which one to use.

      I can't use this link http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html
      since the telnet port appears to be blocked :-(
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
        Power PC

        > Which processor is used in the HD-HGLAN?
        >
        > I plan to upgrade the firmware so I can install the slimserver. Any
        > links would help. I'm looking at
        > http://linkstationwiki.org/Information/Information for upgrades but
        > don'nt know which one to use.
        >
        > I can't use this link http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html
        > since the telnet port appears to be blocked :-(
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ugarit Ebla
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 17, 2005
          Thanks James.

          So is this the correct firmware to use

          http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/ppc-openlink-052b.zip

          or

          http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/hg-openlink-051b.zip

          The hg zip file is corrupt, however.

          --- James Ronald <jronald@...> wrote:

          > Power PC

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Matt Grimes
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 17, 2005
            Which linkstation do you have? I have seen reports on linkstation wiki that the 300gb linkstations are currently bricking whether you try to install openlink or if you just try to upgrade the firmware. A fix should be coming soon, i just ordered my linkstation 300gb so let me know how it goes.

            --- James Ronald <jronald@...> wrote:

            > Power PC

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Ugarit Ebla
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 17, 2005
              I have the HD-HGLAN 250 GB.

              --- Matt Grimes <johnslayer1981@...> wrote:

              > Which linkstation do you have? I have seen reports
              > on linkstation wiki that the 300gb linkstations are
              > currently bricking whether you try to install
              > openlink or if you just try to upgrade the firmware.
              > A fix should be coming soon, i just ordered my
              > linkstation 300gb so let me know how it goes.
              >
              > Ugarit Ebla <ugaritebla@...> wrote: Thanks
              > James.
              >
              > So is this the correct firmware to use

              http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/ppc-openlink-052b.zip

              > or

              http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/hg-openlink-051b.zip

              > The hg zip file is corrupt, however.
              >
              > --- James Ronald <jronald@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Power PC

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • Ugarit Ebla
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 18, 2005
                My HD-HGLAN 250 GB (bought in the US) has become a
                brick after firmware update.

                Ok I used
                http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/hg-openlink-051b.zip
                (It was what I think was Japanese) and all seemed to
                go well until the end and the I got an error and now I
                get the five times blinking diag red light :-(

                I followed the instructions on linkstationwiki.org

                how do I restore the stock firmware?

                __________________________________
                http://farechase.yahoo.com
              • James Ronald
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 18, 2005
                  Ugarit

                  The easiest way is to open the linkstation up (see "how to" in the files
                  section), connect the drive to another computer (Windows or Linux) and
                  delete all of the partitions on the drive. Then reconnect the drive to the
                  linkstation and reinstall the firmware. The firmware installation will take
                  care of all the partitioning and such. Sometimes you need to keep rerunning
                  the firmware installer and each time it will get further. In the past I
                  have had to rerun it 3 times before it ran to it's completion. Also I found
                  that IDE cable and power can be connected without removing the drive from
                  the case and connect to the secondary IDE controller. Of course once you
                  have linkstation open you may as well install debian. The "how to" for that
                  is also in the file section.

                  JR
                  > My HD-HGLAN 250 GB (bought in the US) has become a
                  > brick after firmware update.
                  >
                  > Ok I used
                  > http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/openlink/hg-openlink-051b.zip
                  > (It was what I think was Japanese) and all seemed to
                  > go well until the end and the I got an error and now I
                  > get the five times blinking diag red light :-(
                  >
                  > I followed the instructions on linkstationwiki.org
                  >
                  > how do I restore the stock firmware?

                • michael_harper75
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 18, 2005
                    I had a similar problem:

                    http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=451&page=0#5

                    -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 18, 2005
                      Michael

                      In the link you provided below you said:

                      "... i turned off the linkstation and pressed the init
                      button and held it in while i turned it back on, the
                      two red lights flashed and i was able to reflash the
                      firmware after chaning my ip to the 192.168.11.150
                      range ..."

                      Did you have the 5 time blinking diag light?

                      By chaning the ip address do you mean on the pc?
                      Because how would you be able to set the ip address on
                      the NAS if the firmware is not functioning?

                      Prior to this I had set NAS' ip to 192.168.0.20.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 19, 2005
                        James:

                        I don't understand why installing debian would solve
                        the firmware issue. debian would go on the hd but the
                        firmware would still be corrupt. Why would deleting
                        the partitians make it possible for me to install the
                        firmware?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 19, 2005
                          Ugarit

                          The term firmware is used very loosely in the Linkstation world (I think
                          buffalo started it) and usually refers to all the software installed by the
                          buffalo installer. You are correct the actual firmware is really just what
                          resides in the flash memory. Also, I doubt that your firmware is the
                          problem. If it is, you have what we call a brick or a door stop as there is
                          really nothing you can do to fix it. I believe in your case, and most
                          cases, the problem is most likely that software did not install correctly to
                          the hard drive and deleting the partitions and reinstalling the software via
                          the installer fixes the problem 99% of the time. In regard to installing
                          Debian, I was just saying that so long as you have the case apart you may as
                          well install debian and be done with it. Once you have Debian installed
                          it's very easy to install any software packages you like. You also get to
                          setup the partitions anyway you like.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 20, 2005
                            Thanks James. BTW, do you know how to open an
                            HD-HGLAN250GB? There is a pushable table on the
                            bottom and top. I push them and nothing seems to get
                            loose.

                            __________________________________
                            http://farechase.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 21, 2005
                              Here is my pictorial on the subject:

                              http://wartstew.homelinux.net/linkstation/Disassembly.html

                              Note however that most people take the time to peel the front label
                              off and properly removing the front screws instead of ripping them
                              out like I did (Hey I didn't know they were there at the time).

                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ugarit Ebla
                              <ugaritebla@y...> wrote:

                              > Thanks James. BTW, do you know how to open an
                              > HD-HGLAN250GB? There is a pushable table on the
                              > bottom and top. I push them and nothing seems to get
                              > loose.
                              >
                              > --- James Ronald <jronald@c...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Ugarit
                              > >
                              > > The term firmware is used very loosely in the
                              > > Linkstation world (I think
                              > > buffalo started it) and usually refers to all the
                              > > software installed by the
                              > > buffalo installer. You are correct the actual
                              > > firmware is really just what
                              > > resides in the flash memory. Also, I doubt that
                              > > your firmware is the
                              > > problem. If it is, you have what we call a brick or
                              > > a door stop as there is
                              > > really nothing you can do to fix it. I believe in
                              > > your case, and most
                              > > cases, the problem is most likely that software did
                              > > not install correctly to
                              > > the hard drive and deleting the partitions and
                              > > reinstalling the software via
                              > > the installer fixes the problem 99% of the time. In
                              > > regard to installing
                              > > Debian, I was just saying that so long as you have
                              > > the case apart you may as
                              > > well install debian and be done with it. Once you
                              > > have Debian installed
                              > > it's very easy to install any software packages you
                              > > like. You also get to
                              > > setup the partitions anyway you like.

                            • Ugarit Ebla
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 22, 2005
                                Thank you James and Simeon

                                I found this one where the harddrive does not need to
                                be removed

                                http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralDisassemble

                                http://farechase.yahoo.com