PUTTY access only after firmware update

  • seangrady01
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15 9:58 AM
      Admittedly, I know only enough to be dangerous in this area.

      I flashed my PPC HD250 firmware from 1.47 to freelink. The firmware
      flash didn't seem to work. At this point the LS Client Utility sees
      the linkstation and identifies it as firmware 1.51.

      I can connect via putty/telnet but can't map the drive in windows.
      Also, the LS Utility software sees the drive but cannot open it to
      view files.

      So I can get into telnet as root@LinkStation but have no idea where
      to go from there. Oh, and the good news is I decided to flash the
      firmware without backing up anything! Yeah for me.

      I have a second LS that I haven't broken and a USB drive that I could
      transfer files to if I only new how from telnet.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Sean
    • john_p_daniels
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 16 12:47 AM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "seangrady01"
        <sean@a...> wrote:

        > Admittedly, I know only enough to be dangerous in this area.
        >
        > I flashed my PPC HD250 firmware from 1.47 to freelink. The
        firmware
        > flash didn't seem to work. At this point the LS Client Utility
        sees
        > the linkstation and identifies it as firmware 1.51.
        >
        > I can connect via putty/telnet but can't map the drive in
        windows.
        > Also, the LS Utility software sees the drive but cannot open it to
        > view files.
        >
        > So I can get into telnet as root@LinkStation but have no idea
        where
        > to go from there. Oh, and the good news is I decided to flash the
        > firmware without backing up anything! Yeah for me.
        >
        > I have a second LS that I haven't broken and a USB drive that I
        could
        > transfer files to if I only new how from telnet.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Sean

        So what is your actual problem? What gives you indication that the
        firmware flash did not work? Were there error messages during the
        install, or are you basing this just on you haveing problems?

        Is your main issue that windows is having problems finding it? I had
        issues at one point w/ the LS Client finding the linkstation, but
        when I clicked open, nothing would happen. I also had issues where I
        could not see the station from my computer, unless I used the exact
        IP address. Well, for me, the problem ended up being a firewall
        issue. When I took down the firewall, low-and-behold, windows found
        the linkstation. I then changed the firewall configuration to allow
        certain ip addresses access. After this, everything worked. Not
        saying this will solve your problems, but it did for me! Good luck.
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16 1:24 AM
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "seangrady01" <sean@a...> wrote:

          > Admittedly, I know only enough to be dangerous in this area.
          >
          > I flashed my PPC HD250 firmware from 1.47 to freelink. The firmware
          > flash didn't seem to work. At this point the LS Client Utility sees
          > the linkstation and identifies it as firmware 1.51.
          >
          > I can connect via putty/telnet but can't map the drive in windows.

          Sean,

          the Debian philosphy is to provide a basic system and leave all additions to you. "apt-get
          install samba"

          -Andre
        • seangrady01
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16 11:27 AM
            Thanks for the insight. I didn't get an error message, but it did refuse to boot for several tries, giving a flashing 6 count.

            Now it boots, is seen but not accessable by the IP Client software and not seen at all by windows. It probably is the firewall. I'll look at that again.

            Thanks,

            Sean
          • seangrady01
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 16 11:28 AM
              I tried the apt-get commands but could not connect to download. Again,
              sounds like I have a firewall issue.

              Thanks,

              Sean