Backup data from Terastation to tape

  • song_ny
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
      I have the 1.6TB model of Terastation and was very pissed off by it.

      On a Windows 2000 computer, I mapped T drive to a share folder on the
      terastation and ran NTBackup to backup the files in that share folder
      to tapes. It worked fine for normal backup, then I tried to do
      differential backup of the same folder. It was supposed to backup only
      the files that were changed or created since last normal backup,
      instead, it backup everything under that folder again, just like a
      normal backup.

      I did a few testing and found out that I couldn't change the archive
      bit flag for files in the shared folder. In Windows 2000, I could
      right click on the file and clear the Archive flag in the property
      page, when I checked the file's property again, the Archive flag is
      set again. It seems to me that Windows didn't communicate the command
      to Terastation or Terastation just doesn't understand the command from
      Windows to clear Archive bit.

      Does anyone else has this problem or better yet have a solution for it.

      Thanks a lot,

      Brian
    • Trevor
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 12, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "song_ny" <song_ny@y...>
        wrote:
        > I did a few testing and found out that I couldn't change the archive
        > bit flag for files in the shared folder. In Windows 2000, I could
        > right click on the file and clear the Archive flag in the property
        > page, when I checked the file's property again, the Archive flag is
        > set again. It seems to me that Windows didn't communicate the command
        > to Terastation or Terastation just doesn't understand the command from
        > Windows to clear Archive bit.

        5 minutes with Google would have answered your question.

        http://www.netadmintools.com/art399.html
      • song_ny
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 12, 2005
          Thanks a lot for your reply.

          I have spent hours on google trying to find a solution for my problem.
          TeraStation uses linux ext3 file system, which I am not very familiar
          with.
          To quote the article you pointed out,
          "Samba works around this by tweaking the owner bits on ext2. For an
          explanation on how this is done, and some further explanation of
          Windows filesystem bits, see this document."
          at the mean time, I wonder if Samba is already installed on Terastation.

          Thanks again,

          Brian

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Trevor" <tman_yahoo@t...>
          wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "song_ny" <song_ny@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I did a few testing and found out that I couldn't change the archive
          > > bit flag for files in the shared folder. In Windows 2000, I could
          > > right click on the file and clear the Archive flag in the property
          > > page, when I checked the file's property again, the Archive flag is
          > > set again. It seems to me that Windows didn't communicate the command
          > > to Terastation or Terastation just doesn't understand the command from
          > > Windows to clear Archive bit.
          >
          > 5 minutes with Google would have answered your question.
          >
          > http://www.netadmintools.com/art399.html

        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
            Samba is the something like a implementation of windows Filesharing
            under Linux.....so obviously it IS installed :) .... you would never
            see the shares from you windowsPC without samba....

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
              Ok :-) That answered one of my questions. Now how do I "hack" it so
              that the archive bit will be correctly set or cleared?

              Thanks a lot!

              Brian

              <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

              > Samba is the something like a implementation of windows Filesharing
              > under Linux.....so obviously it IS installed :) .... you would never
              > see the shares from you windowsPC without samba....
              >

              > > at the mean time, I wonder if Samba is already installed on
              > Terastation.

            • song_ny
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
                Hi Dave,

                Thanks a lot for your help. I am pretty clueless about
                Linux and Samba, so if you have a little extra time,
                can you point me to some reference that can show me
                how to "hack" the terastation and what Samba setting
                needed to be tweaked. I want window to be able to set
                the archive bit so that differential backup will work.

                Thanks again,

                Brian