Re: Set time on LinkStation

  • sjungels
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
      wrote:
      > Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
      from
      > "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
      fires
      > off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
      forwarded
      > to my account....
      >
      > -- Rick

      Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
      /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
      /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

      --Stephen

      > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
      >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
      > > wrote:
      > >

      > >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
      > >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
      > >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
      sets the
      > >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
      > > yet.
      > >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
      > > time
      > >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
      > >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
      > > your local
      > >> timezone.
      > >>
      > >> Iain
      > >
      > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
      > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
      > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
      > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
      > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
      > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
      > >
      > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
      > >
      > > ---- snip ----
      > > SHELL=/bin/bash
      > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
      > > MAILTO=
      > > HOME=/
      > >
      > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
      > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
      > > ----snip ----
      > >
      > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
      > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
      > > by hand to call it once a week.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Rick Flower
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
        Yeah, I knew that, but haven't done it yet.. (8->

        -- Rick

        On Dec 3, 2004, at 4:59 PM, sjungels wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
        > wrote:
        >> Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
        > from
        >> "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
        > fires
        >> off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
        > forwarded
        >> to my account....
        >>
        >> -- Rick
        >>

        > Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
        > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
        > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
        >
        > --Stephen
        >

        >> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
        >>

        >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson
        >>> <iain@i...>

        > sets the
        >>> yet.
        >>> time
        >>> your local

        >>> This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
        >>> maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
        >>> no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
        >>> every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
        >>> happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
        >>> calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
        >>>
        >>> If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
        >>>
        >>> ---- snip ----
        >>> SHELL=/bin/bash
        >>> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
        >>> MAILTO=
        >>> HOME=/
        >>>
        >>> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
        >>> 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
        >>> ----snip ----
        >>>
        >>> If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
        >>> with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
        >>> by hand to call it once a week.
        >>>

        >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dbossler1
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
          Hey Stephan,
          The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
          knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)

          Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
          will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
          system time, or the RTC?

          ... Dan

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
          wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
          > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
          > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
          sets the
          > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
          > yet.
          > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
          > time
          > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
          > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
          > your local
          > > timezone.
          > >
          > > Iain
          >
          > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
          > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
          > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
          > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
          > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
          > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
          >
          > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
          >
          > ---- snip ----
          > SHELL=/bin/bash
          > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
          > MAILTO=
          > HOME=/
          >
          > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
          > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
          > ----snip ----
          >
          > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
          > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
          > by hand to call it once a week.
        • sjungels
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
            You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
            absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
            being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.

            Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
            discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
            scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
            haven't come up with anything better, though.

            -- Stephen

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
            wrote:

            > Hey Stephan,
            > The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
            > knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)
            >
            > Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
            > will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
            > system time, or the RTC?
            >
            > ... Dan
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
            > > wrote:
            > >

            > > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
            > > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
            > > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
            > sets the
            > > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
            > > yet.
            > > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
            > > time
            > > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
            > > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
            > > your local
            > > > timezone.
            > > >
            > > > Iain
            > >
            > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
            > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
            > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
            > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
            > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
            > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
            > >
            > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
            > >
            > > ---- snip ----
            > > SHELL=/bin/bash
            > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
            > > MAILTO=
            > > HOME=/
            > >
            > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
            > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
            > > ----snip ----
            > >
            > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
            > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
            > > by hand to call it once a week.
          • dbossler1
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
              how do I tell what the RTC time is?

              wrote:

              > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
              > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
              > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
              >
              > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
              > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
              > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
              > haven't come up with anything better, though.
              >
              > -- Stephen
            • sjungels
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you
                changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same.
                Then you can read the system time simply by typing "date" (but you
                probably knew that).

                wrote:

                > how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                > > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                > > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                > >
                > > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                > > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                > > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                > > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                > >
                > > -- Stephen
              • Sal D'Anna
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004

                  Hello,

                  Thank you for all the great info.  I’m new to the list and have a question.  Is it possible to have two USB disks connected to the LinkStation?  I can’t seem to get it to recognize the second USB drive.  If I try to make a share folder named usbdisk2 it tells me that I can’t use that name so that makes me think that it knows it is there but just won’t link me to it.  The other question I have is why the LinkStation is sharing a printer that does not exist since I have none connected to it?

                  Thanks,

                  SBD