Re: New to linkstation and the group

  • natfairbanks
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnslayer1981"
      <johnslayer1981@y...> wrote:

      > 1. What sort of speeds can i expect? Would i be able to watch divx
      > encoded simpsons reruns in 2 rooms while listening to music in to
      > other rooms simultaneously?

      I haven't done exactly that, but I have watched 1 divx encoded movie
      while transfering large files over ftp and running a bittorent client.
      It also acts as a low end web, mail, proxy and database server at the
      same time. None are heavily loaded, but they run fine for my needs.

      > 2. I am very fond of my xbox running xbmc. Right now it connects to
      > my pc using samba shares. Will running twonky vision affect that?
      > Would i be better off setting up the shares through twonky than
      > standard windows file sharing? Does anyone else use a linkstation
      > setup and xbmc? If so what are your experiences. Are you satisfied?

      I use a softmodded xbox with xbmc as well. It works great. I have my
      linkstation serve up the content using samba (never bothered with
      twonkyvision) and love it. Keeps the kids from handling and breaking
      their DVDs.

      > 4. Is twonkyvision my best bet for a media server? I have also heard
      > slimserver is good. Any comments on that? Any major flaws in the
      > twonky server setup?

      Having never used twonky or slimserver I know that if I were to
      distribute content (music or video or still) to any room that had a TV
      I'd just use xboxs with xbmc. Way cheaper. I don't have any
      suggestions for streaming without a TV to display on however.

      > 5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if anyone
      > would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
      > linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
      > quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
      > wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do have a
      > knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything like
      > that ;)

      If you've soft modded an xbox then there's a pretty good chance you've
      at least seen telnet. Even if you use the all in one easy installers
      they have telnet options. And the linkstation wiki has great firmware
      that makes this even easier than it used to be.

      -Nat