Re: New to linkstation and the group

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
      > 5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if anyone
      > would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
      > linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
      > quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
      > wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do have a
      > knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything like
      > that ;)

      telnet access is easy to get now....

      have a look at www.linkstationwiki.org and search for the openlink
      firmware (currently openlink 0.52b is stable) . after installing the
      LS behaves like the stock firmware but you have telnet and root access....

      and maybe soon when the OpenLink 0.6 gets stable we have a working
      IPKG-Feed for installing packages over the internet...but at the
      moment this isnt working properly...but it will soon, i believe in
      that ;)
    • johnslayer1981
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
        <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

        > > 5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if
        anyone
        > > would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
        > > linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
        > > quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
        > > wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do
        have a
        > > knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything
        like
        > > that ;)
        >
        > telnet access is easy to get now....
        >
        > have a look at www.linkstationwiki.org and search for the openlink
        > firmware (currently openlink 0.52b is stable) . after installing
        the
        > LS behaves like the stock firmware but you have telnet and root
        access....

        > and maybe soon when the OpenLink 0.6 gets stable we have a working
        > IPKG-Feed for installing packages over the internet...but at the
        > moment this isnt working properly...but it will soon, i believe in
        > that ;)

        I have been reading on the linkstation wiki that the hg 300 is
        having major problems with firmware upgrades. Basically even if you
        try to upgrade the stock firmware it turns into a giant paper
        weight. Anyone have more info on this? According to someone on the
        forums buffalo is aware of this and are working on solving the issue.
      • natfairbanks
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnslayer1981"
          <johnslayer1981@y...> wrote:

          > 1. What sort of speeds can i expect? Would i be able to watch divx
          > encoded simpsons reruns in 2 rooms while listening to music in to
          > other rooms simultaneously?

          I haven't done exactly that, but I have watched 1 divx encoded movie
          while transfering large files over ftp and running a bittorent client.
          It also acts as a low end web, mail, proxy and database server at the
          same time. None are heavily loaded, but they run fine for my needs.

          > 2. I am very fond of my xbox running xbmc. Right now it connects to
          > my pc using samba shares. Will running twonky vision affect that?
          > Would i be better off setting up the shares through twonky than
          > standard windows file sharing? Does anyone else use a linkstation
          > setup and xbmc? If so what are your experiences. Are you satisfied?

          I use a softmodded xbox with xbmc as well. It works great. I have my
          linkstation serve up the content using samba (never bothered with
          twonkyvision) and love it. Keeps the kids from handling and breaking
          their DVDs.

          > 4. Is twonkyvision my best bet for a media server? I have also heard
          > slimserver is good. Any comments on that? Any major flaws in the
          > twonky server setup?

          Having never used twonky or slimserver I know that if I were to
          distribute content (music or video or still) to any room that had a TV
          I'd just use xboxs with xbmc. Way cheaper. I don't have any
          suggestions for streaming without a TV to display on however.

          > 5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if anyone
          > would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
          > linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
          > quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
          > wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do have a
          > knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything like
          > that ;)

          If you've soft modded an xbox then there's a pretty good chance you've
          at least seen telnet. Even if you use the all in one easy installers
          they have telnet options. And the linkstation wiki has great firmware
          that makes this even easier than it used to be.

          -Nat