New to linkstation and the group

  • johnslayer1981
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
      hey guys, i stumbled across this group while browsing the
      twonkyvision forums. I had originally been looking at buy a maxtor
      nas device but further inquiry showed me that the buffalo not only
      seemed to have higher performance specs but there was also a lot
      more information about the linkstation. Like this wonderful group!!
      I tried posting on the twonky forums but it seemed a little dead so
      i was hoping there would be some more feedback here.
      Ok first off i am ordering my 300 gb linkstation in a few minutes.
      I figure i might tell you about my setup a little bit. I have 2 xp
      computers, 1 modded xbox running xbmc connected to high end audio
      and hd projector, 1 g4 power book, 2 locations for streaming music
      players. I hard wired my house when i was building it so every room
      has an ethernet jack, they all run to my linksys router in the
      laundry room. The house is big so i didnt want to run into any
      problems with wireless deadspots.
      So my questions are these:

      1. What sort of speeds can i expect? Would i be able to watch divx
      encoded simpsons reruns in 2 rooms while listening to music in to
      other rooms simultaneously?
      2. I am very fond of my xbox running xbmc. Right now it connects to
      my pc using samba shares. Will running twonky vision affect that?
      Would i be better off setting up the shares through twonky than
      standard windows file sharing? Does anyone else use a linkstation
      setup and xbmc? If so what are your experiences. Are you satisfied?
      3. All of my high end sound equipment is in a dedicated theater room
      and connected to my modded xbox. I would like to stream music to a
      couple other rooms in the house. I dont need a top of the line
      player, since the stereos in the other rooms are not the greatest in
      the world ( sony stereos, about $250) but i would like a decent
      sounding one. How is the netgear mp101 for streaming music and
      internet radio? Is it simple and straight forward to use? My girl
      will probably be the main person using it and she is not real tech
      savy.
      4. Is twonkyvision my best bet for a media server? I have also heard
      slimserver is good. Any comments on that? Any major flaws in the
      twonky server setup?
      5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if anyone
      would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
      linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
      quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
      wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do have a
      knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything like
      that ;)

      Ok well thats all ive got right now. Im off to order my linkstation.
      Cheers guys and thanks for setting up this place!!
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
        > 5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if anyone
        > would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
        > linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
        > quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
        > wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do have a
        > knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything like
        > that ;)

        telnet access is easy to get now....

        have a look at www.linkstationwiki.org and search for the openlink
        firmware (currently openlink 0.52b is stable) . after installing the
        LS behaves like the stock firmware but you have telnet and root access....

        and maybe soon when the OpenLink 0.6 gets stable we have a working
        IPKG-Feed for installing packages over the internet...but at the
        moment this isnt working properly...but it will soon, i believe in
        that ;)
      • johnslayer1981
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
          <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

          > > 5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if
          anyone
          > > would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
          > > linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
          > > quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
          > > wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do
          have a
          > > knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything
          like
          > > that ;)
          >
          > telnet access is easy to get now....
          >
          > have a look at www.linkstationwiki.org and search for the openlink
          > firmware (currently openlink 0.52b is stable) . after installing
          the
          > LS behaves like the stock firmware but you have telnet and root
          access....

          > and maybe soon when the OpenLink 0.6 gets stable we have a working
          > IPKG-Feed for installing packages over the internet...but at the
          > moment this isnt working properly...but it will soon, i believe in
          > that ;)

          I have been reading on the linkstation wiki that the hg 300 is
          having major problems with firmware upgrades. Basically even if you
          try to upgrade the stock firmware it turns into a giant paper
          weight. Anyone have more info on this? According to someone on the
          forums buffalo is aware of this and are working on solving the issue.
        • natfairbanks
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnslayer1981"
            <johnslayer1981@y...> wrote:

            > 1. What sort of speeds can i expect? Would i be able to watch divx
            > encoded simpsons reruns in 2 rooms while listening to music in to
            > other rooms simultaneously?

            I haven't done exactly that, but I have watched 1 divx encoded movie
            while transfering large files over ftp and running a bittorent client.
            It also acts as a low end web, mail, proxy and database server at the
            same time. None are heavily loaded, but they run fine for my needs.

            > 2. I am very fond of my xbox running xbmc. Right now it connects to
            > my pc using samba shares. Will running twonky vision affect that?
            > Would i be better off setting up the shares through twonky than
            > standard windows file sharing? Does anyone else use a linkstation
            > setup and xbmc? If so what are your experiences. Are you satisfied?

            I use a softmodded xbox with xbmc as well. It works great. I have my
            linkstation serve up the content using samba (never bothered with
            twonkyvision) and love it. Keeps the kids from handling and breaking
            their DVDs.

            > 4. Is twonkyvision my best bet for a media server? I have also heard
            > slimserver is good. Any comments on that? Any major flaws in the
            > twonky server setup?

            Having never used twonky or slimserver I know that if I were to
            distribute content (music or video or still) to any room that had a TV
            I'd just use xboxs with xbmc. Way cheaper. I don't have any
            suggestions for streaming without a TV to display on however.

            > 5. Ok last thing, i know exactly squat about telnet. So if anyone
            > would be willing to walk me through installing twonky on the
            > linkstation when it arrives i would be most greatful. I do know
            > quite a bit about gadgets/electronics/computers in general so it
            > wont be like teaching a baby. I learn really quickly and i do have a
            > knack for stuff like this. I mod a mean xbox if its anything like
            > that ;)

            If you've soft modded an xbox then there's a pretty good chance you've
            at least seen telnet. Even if you use the all in one easy installers
            they have telnet options. And the linkstation wiki has great firmware
            that makes this even easier than it used to be.

            -Nat