Re: Dynamic DNS

  • prb0x
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
      <roy@r...> wrote:

      > prb0x wrote:
      >
      > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
      wget:
      > >wget -q -O NUL
      > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
      > >

      > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
      > hijack your domain, right?
      >
      > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
      > give away important secrets.

      I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
      the example to be fairly accurate.

      Cheers.
      Al
    • haberschnasel
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
        > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
        > wget:
        > > >wget -q -O NUL
        > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

        I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
        installed. Any help anybody?
      • prb0x
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
          <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

          > > wget:
          >
          > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
          > installed. Any help anybody?

          It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
          available within:

          http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

          Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
          linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
          well put openlink on if you don't already.

          Cheers,
          Al