Re: Set time on LinkStation

  • sjungels
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
      wrote:

      > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
      > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
      > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
      > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
      yet.
      > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
      time
      > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
      > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
      your local
      > timezone.
      >
      > Iain

      This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
      maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
      no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
      every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
      happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
      calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.

      If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:

      ---- snip ----
      SHELL=/bin/bash
      PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
      MAILTO=
      HOME=/

      02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
      05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
      ----snip ----

      If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
      with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
      by hand to call it once a week.
    • Rick Flower
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
        Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails from
        "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job fires
        off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day forwarded
        to my account....

        -- Rick

        On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
        >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
        >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
        >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
        > yet.
        >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
        > time
        >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
        >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
        > your local
        >> timezone.
        >>
        >> Iain
        >
        > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
        > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
        > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
        > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
        > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
        > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
        >
        > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
        >
        > ---- snip ----
        > SHELL=/bin/bash
        > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
        > MAILTO=
        > HOME=/
        >
        > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
        > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
        > ----snip ----
        >
        > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
        > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
        > by hand to call it once a week.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sjungels
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
          wrote:
          > Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
          from
          > "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
          fires
          > off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
          forwarded
          > to my account....
          >
          > -- Rick

          Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
          /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
          /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

          --Stephen

          > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
          >

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
          > >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
          > >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
          sets the
          > >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
          > > yet.
          > >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
          > > time
          > >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
          > >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
          > > your local
          > >> timezone.
          > >>
          > >> Iain
          > >
          > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
          > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
          > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
          > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
          > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
          > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
          > >
          > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
          > >
          > > ---- snip ----
          > > SHELL=/bin/bash
          > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
          > > MAILTO=
          > > HOME=/
          > >
          > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
          > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
          > > ----snip ----
          > >
          > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
          > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
          > > by hand to call it once a week.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rick Flower
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
            Yeah, I knew that, but haven't done it yet.. (8->

            -- Rick

            On Dec 3, 2004, at 4:59 PM, sjungels wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
            > wrote:
            >> Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
            > from
            >> "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
            > fires
            >> off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
            > forwarded
            >> to my account....
            >>
            >> -- Rick
            >>

            > Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
            > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
            > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
            >
            > --Stephen
            >

            >> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
            >>

            >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson
            >>> <iain@i...>

            > sets the
            >>> yet.
            >>> time
            >>> your local

            >>> This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
            >>> maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
            >>> no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
            >>> every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
            >>> happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
            >>> calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
            >>>
            >>> If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
            >>>
            >>> ---- snip ----
            >>> SHELL=/bin/bash
            >>> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
            >>> MAILTO=
            >>> HOME=/
            >>>
            >>> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
            >>> 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
            >>> ----snip ----
            >>>
            >>> If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
            >>> with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
            >>> by hand to call it once a week.
            >>>

            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • dbossler1
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
              Hey Stephan,
              The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
              knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)

              Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
              will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
              system time, or the RTC?

              ... Dan

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
              wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
              > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
              > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
              sets the
              > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
              > yet.
              > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
              > time
              > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
              > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
              > your local
              > > timezone.
              > >
              > > Iain
              >
              > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
              > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
              > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
              > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
              > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
              > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
              >
              > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
              >
              > ---- snip ----
              > SHELL=/bin/bash
              > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
              > MAILTO=
              > HOME=/
              >
              > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
              > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
              > ----snip ----
              >
              > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
              > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
              > by hand to call it once a week.
            • sjungels
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.

                Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                haven't come up with anything better, though.

                -- Stephen

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
                wrote:

                > Hey Stephan,
                > The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                > knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)
                >
                > Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                > will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                > system time, or the RTC?
                >
                > ... Dan
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                > > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                > > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                > sets the
                > > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                > > yet.
                > > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                > > time
                > > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                > > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                > > your local
                > > > timezone.
                > > >
                > > > Iain
                > >
                > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                > >
                > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                > >
                > > ---- snip ----
                > > SHELL=/bin/bash
                > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                > > MAILTO=
                > > HOME=/
                > >
                > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                > > ----snip ----
                > >
                > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                > > by hand to call it once a week.
              • dbossler1
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                  how do I tell what the RTC time is?

                  wrote:

                  > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                  > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                  > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                  >
                  > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                  > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                  > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                  > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                  >
                  > -- Stephen
                • sjungels
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                    Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you
                    changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same.
                    Then you can read the system time simply by typing "date" (but you
                    probably knew that).

                    wrote:

                    > how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                    >
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                    > > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                    > > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                    > >
                    > > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                    > > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                    > > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                    > > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                    > >
                    > > -- Stephen
                  • Sal D'Anna
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004

                      Hello,

                      Thank you for all the great info.  I’m new to the list and have a question.  Is it possible to have two USB disks connected to the LinkStation?  I can’t seem to get it to recognize the second USB drive.  If I try to make a share folder named usbdisk2 it tells me that I can’t use that name so that makes me think that it knows it is there but just won’t link me to it.  The other question I have is why the LinkStation is sharing a printer that does not exist since I have none connected to it?

                      Thanks,

                      SBD