Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Dynamic DNS

  • Roy M. Silvernail
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
      prb0x wrote:

      >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
      >wget -q -O NUL
      >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

      Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
      hijack your domain, right?

      Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
      give away important secrets.

      --
      Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
      "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
        <roy@r...> wrote:

        > prb0x wrote:
        >
        > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
        wget:
        > >wget -q -O NUL
        > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
        > >

        > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
        > hijack your domain, right?
        >
        > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
        > give away important secrets.

        I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
        the example to be fairly accurate.

        Cheers.
        Al
      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
          > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
          > wget:
          > > >wget -q -O NUL
          > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

          I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
          installed. Any help anybody?
        • prb0x
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
            <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

            > > wget:
            >
            > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
            > installed. Any help anybody?

            It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
            available within:

            http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

            Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
            linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
            well put openlink on if you don't already.

            Cheers,
            Al