Re: Dynamic DNS

  • prb0x
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
      <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
      > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.
      >
      > But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
      > ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
      > something wrong?
      >
      > Best,
      > h.

      Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
      wget -q -O NUL
      http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?UTBZelMwL3lVzY0lBQUFyclVyYzoxMDQ3

      HTH,
      Al
    • Roy M. Silvernail
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
        prb0x wrote:

        >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
        >wget -q -O NUL
        >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

        Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
        hijack your domain, right?

        Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
        give away important secrets.

        --
        Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
        "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
          <roy@r...> wrote:

          > prb0x wrote:
          >
          > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
          wget:
          > >wget -q -O NUL
          > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
          > >

          > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
          > hijack your domain, right?
          >
          > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
          > give away important secrets.

          I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
          the example to be fairly accurate.

          Cheers.
          Al
        • haberschnasel
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
            > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
            > wget:
            > > >wget -q -O NUL
            > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

            I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
            installed. Any help anybody?
          • prb0x
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
              <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

              > > wget:
              >
              > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
              > installed. Any help anybody?

              It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
              available within:

              http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

              Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
              linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
              well put openlink on if you don't already.

              Cheers,
              Al