Re: Dynamic DNS

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
      <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

      > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

      But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
      ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
      something wrong?

      Best,
      h.
    • prb0x
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
        <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
        > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
        > >
        > > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.
        >
        > But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
        > ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
        > something wrong?
        >
        > Best,
        > h.

        Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
        wget -q -O NUL
        http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?UTBZelMwL3lVzY0lBQUFyclVyYzoxMDQ3

        HTH,
        Al
      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
          prb0x wrote:

          >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
          >wget -q -O NUL
          >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

          Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
          hijack your domain, right?

          Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
          give away important secrets.

          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
            <roy@r...> wrote:

            > prb0x wrote:
            >
            > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
            wget:
            > >wget -q -O NUL
            > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
            > >

            > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
            > hijack your domain, right?
            >
            > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
            > give away important secrets.

            I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
            the example to be fairly accurate.

            Cheers.
            Al
          • haberschnasel
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
              > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
              > wget:
              > > >wget -q -O NUL
              > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

              I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
              installed. Any help anybody?
            • prb0x
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                > > wget:
                >
                > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                > installed. Any help anybody?

                It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
                available within:

                http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

                Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
                linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
                well put openlink on if you don't already.

                Cheers,
                Al