Re: Linkstation + Gentoo

  • Thom Mason
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
      The Kurobox website is back up for sales (www.revogear.com). They
      will ship to Germany but you need to get a transformer since the Kuro
      is 110 V (or change PS). The gentoo installation routine is at:

      http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=projectsGenToo

      I don't know of any MIPS gentoo installs.

      Thom
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "manuelbernhardt"
      <manuelbernhardt@y...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > i searched a long time for an NAS with enough ressources to run things
      > like rsync or dnsmasq. Now, first i bought an ALLNET ALL6200 but this
      > device hasn't enough memory and adding memory via swap isn't possible
      > because the MIPS-CPU doesn't have an memory unit (MMU).
      > Yet i found the LinkStation / Kuro-Box and many posts from statisfied
      > people. I've now some questions which i hope that someone can answere
      > it for me:
      >
      > - I'd read that i can run Gentoo on an Linkstation; Runs Gentoo only
      > on the PPC-Linkstation Version or is also an Version for the
      > MIPS-Linkstation available?
      > - Is there an difference in speed between PPC- and MIPS-Version ?
      > - Is there an "easy" way, maybe get an Kuro-Box in Germany ?
      > - Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
      > in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...
      >
      > Thanks for every help!
      >
      > mb

    • Frank Bertling
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
        Am Dienstag, 8. November 2005 07:46 schrieb manuelbernhardt:
        > Hi,
        [Gentoo on linkstation for several reasons]

        Hi, I do have a (in fact two) linkstation. One is running with debian
        (http://linkstationwiki.org) and is doing things like rsync, dnsmasq and even
        an apache webserver. All this apart from its normal function (exporting
        files)
        Maybe you should take a look on it.

        Regards
        Frank
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
          <manuelbernhardt@y...> wrote:

          > I've now some questions which i hope that someone can answere
          > it for me:
          >
          > - I'd read that i can run Gentoo on an Linkstation; Runs Gentoo only
          > on the PPC-Linkstation Version or is also an Version for the
          > MIPS-Linkstation available?

          Not that I'm aware of. It should be possible for you to build one
          however. You'll likely be the first one to do it. With all these OS
          replacement schemes, we leave the original kernel and initial ramdisk
          intact since it resides in flash memory and is very unforgiving to
          tinkering, and only replace the files out on the root file system. We
          even have a mechanism in place where you can build your new OS out on
          the "data" partition of the Linkstation and swap the partition entries
          around when you wish to try to boot on it.

          > - Is there an difference in speed between PPC- and MIPS-Version ?

          From the last comparison I saw, they were both pretty closely matched
          in performance.

          > - Is there an "easy" way, maybe get an Kuro-Box in Germany ?

          Don't know.

          > - Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
          > in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...

          I would try ebay.com for this.

          > Thanks for every help!

          The Kurobox people tended to run Gentoo, where as us Linkstation
          people tend to run Debian. I suspect these days there are more of us
          with Debianized Linkstations than Gentoo-ed Linkstations or Kuroboxes.
          Gentoo is a very good Linux distribution, but you might find it
          easier to get Debian running on either a PPC or MIPS variety. From
          there it might be easier to go to Gentoo on the MIPS if you want to
          because at least you'll have a full featured Linux OS on the
          Linkstation to work with.
        • calvinlsc
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
            I'd also like to run Gentoo on my MIPS LinkStation. Unfortunately, I
            totally don't have any clue (and time) to do so. If anyone has decided
            to build one (or already have done so), please let me know.
          • Josef Shvejk
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
              >Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
              >in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...

              Get one of HG (gigabit) models. It has PPC and 128 MB of RAM (same as Kuro Box).
              It is cheaper then Kuro Box and it has universal PSU.

              Hope this helps,

            • stannusw
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
                Hi guys,

                Where you get the HG with universal psu? From US?
                I'm interesting to have one too.

                Stannus

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Josef Shvejk
                <shvejk@g...> wrote:

                > >Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
                > >in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...
                > Get one of HG (gigabit) models. It has PPC and 128 MB of RAM (same
                as Kuro
                > Box).
                > It is cheaper then Kuro Box and it has universal PSU.
                > Hope this helps,

              • Josef Shvejk
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005

                  I got mine at www.buy.com