Re: Dynamic DNS

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
      <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

      > www.no-ip.com
      >
      > I use the official update client which is also available there. With
      > a little modification to the script, it can be started/stopped like
      > other daemon.
      >
      > Be sure you have openlink installed to compile the program.

      I do not have openlink but the orig. 1.45 firmware w/ myroot. If
      someone compiled it for the LS1 could she/he please provide the
      binaries? Would be great, I tried different clients and no one worked
      with my LS.
    • Thom Mason
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
        ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "niblarto"
        <scott.birch-horn@n...> wrote:

        > Hello
        > I have a Linkstation II (MIPS) and I use a Dynamic DNS service at
        > www.dtdns.com
        >
        > My LSII and my PC's are behind a router, does anyone know of a program
        > or script I can run that will be able to find the public IP address of
        > the router / modem and publish it to the dtdns service?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Niblet

      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
          <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

          > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

          But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
          ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
          something wrong?

          Best,
          h.
        • prb0x
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
            <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
            > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.
            >
            > But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
            > ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
            > something wrong?
            >
            > Best,
            > h.

            Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
            wget -q -O NUL
            http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?UTBZelMwL3lVzY0lBQUFyclVyYzoxMDQ3

            HTH,
            Al
          • Roy M. Silvernail
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
              prb0x wrote:

              >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
              >wget -q -O NUL
              >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

              Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
              hijack your domain, right?

              Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
              give away important secrets.

              --
              Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
              "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
                <roy@r...> wrote:

                > prb0x wrote:
                >
                > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                wget:
                > >wget -q -O NUL
                > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
                > >

                > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
                > hijack your domain, right?
                >
                > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
                > give away important secrets.

                I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
                the example to be fairly accurate.

                Cheers.
                Al
              • haberschnasel
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                  > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                  > wget:
                  > > >wget -q -O NUL
                  > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

                  I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                  installed. Any help anybody?
                • prb0x
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                    <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                    > > wget:
                    >
                    > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                    > installed. Any help anybody?

                    It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
                    available within:

                    http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

                    Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
                    linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
                    well put openlink on if you don't already.

                    Cheers,
                    Al