Re: Dynamic DNS

  • calvinlsc
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "niblarto" <scott.birch-

      http://www.dtdns.com/index.cfm?
      > > fuseaction=info.clients
      > >
      > > However, I have never used dtdns.com. My LS2 is running noip
      happily.

      > Can you provide me some of the details?
      >
      > what is the web site for the service you use and what script do you
      > use too?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Niblet

      www.no-ip.com

      I use the official update client which is also available there. With
      a little modification to the script, it can be started/stopped like
      other daemon.

      Be sure you have openlink installed to compile the program.
    • haberschnasel
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
        <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

        > www.no-ip.com
        >
        > I use the official update client which is also available there. With
        > a little modification to the script, it can be started/stopped like
        > other daemon.
        >
        > Be sure you have openlink installed to compile the program.

        I do not have openlink but the orig. 1.45 firmware w/ myroot. If
        someone compiled it for the LS1 could she/he please provide the
        binaries? Would be great, I tried different clients and no one worked
        with my LS.
      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
          ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

          <scott.birch-horn@n...> wrote:

          > Hello
          > I have a Linkstation II (MIPS) and I use a Dynamic DNS service at
          > www.dtdns.com
          >
          > My LSII and my PC's are behind a router, does anyone know of a program
          > or script I can run that will be able to find the public IP address of
          > the router / modem and publish it to the dtdns service?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Niblet

        • haberschnasel
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
            <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

            > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

            But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
            ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
            something wrong?

            Best,
            h.
          • prb0x
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
              <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
              > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.
              >
              > But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
              > ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
              > something wrong?
              >
              > Best,
              > h.

              Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
              wget -q -O NUL
              http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?UTBZelMwL3lVzY0lBQUFyclVyYzoxMDQ3

              HTH,
              Al
            • Roy M. Silvernail
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
                prb0x wrote:

                >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
                >wget -q -O NUL
                >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

                Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
                hijack your domain, right?

                Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
                give away important secrets.

                --
                Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
                  <roy@r...> wrote:

                  > prb0x wrote:
                  >
                  > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                  wget:
                  > >wget -q -O NUL
                  > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
                  > >

                  > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
                  > hijack your domain, right?
                  >
                  > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
                  > give away important secrets.

                  I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
                  the example to be fairly accurate.

                  Cheers.
                  Al
                • haberschnasel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                    > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                    > wget:
                    > > >wget -q -O NUL
                    > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

                    I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                    installed. Any help anybody?
                  • prb0x
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                      <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                      > > wget:
                      >
                      > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                      > installed. Any help anybody?

                      It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
                      available within:

                      http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

                      Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
                      linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
                      well put openlink on if you don't already.

                      Cheers,
                      Al