Re: Dynamic DNS

  • niblarto
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
      <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

      > Why don't you use the update clients at http://www.dtdns.com/index.cfm?
      > fuseaction=info.clients
      >
      > However, I have never used dtdns.com. My LS2 is running noip happily.

      Can you provide me some of the details?

      what is the web site for the service you use and what script do you
      use too?

      Cheers

      Niblet
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "niblarto" <scott.birch-
        horn@n...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
        > <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Why don't you use the update clients at
        http://www.dtdns.com/index.cfm?
        > > fuseaction=info.clients
        > >
        > > However, I have never used dtdns.com. My LS2 is running noip
        happily.

        > Can you provide me some of the details?
        >
        > what is the web site for the service you use and what script do you
        > use too?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Niblet

        www.no-ip.com

        I use the official update client which is also available there. With
        a little modification to the script, it can be started/stopped like
        other daemon.

        Be sure you have openlink installed to compile the program.
      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
          <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

          > www.no-ip.com
          >
          > I use the official update client which is also available there. With
          > a little modification to the script, it can be started/stopped like
          > other daemon.
          >
          > Be sure you have openlink installed to compile the program.

          I do not have openlink but the orig. 1.45 firmware w/ myroot. If
          someone compiled it for the LS1 could she/he please provide the
          binaries? Would be great, I tried different clients and no one worked
          with my LS.
        • Thom Mason
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
            ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

            <scott.birch-horn@n...> wrote:

            > Hello
            > I have a Linkstation II (MIPS) and I use a Dynamic DNS service at
            > www.dtdns.com
            >
            > My LSII and my PC's are behind a router, does anyone know of a program
            > or script I can run that will be able to find the public IP address of
            > the router / modem and publish it to the dtdns service?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Niblet

          • haberschnasel
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
              <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

              > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

              But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
              ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
              something wrong?

              Best,
              h.
            • prb0x
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
                > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
                > >
                > > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.
                >
                > But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
                > ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
                > something wrong?
                >
                > Best,
                > h.

                Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
                wget -q -O NUL
                http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?UTBZelMwL3lVzY0lBQUFyclVyYzoxMDQ3

                HTH,
                Al
              • Roy M. Silvernail
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
                  prb0x wrote:

                  >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
                  >wget -q -O NUL
                  >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

                  Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
                  hijack your domain, right?

                  Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
                  give away important secrets.

                  --
                  Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                  "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
                    <roy@r...> wrote:

                    > prb0x wrote:
                    >
                    > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                    wget:
                    > >wget -q -O NUL
                    > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
                    > >

                    > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
                    > hijack your domain, right?
                    >
                    > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
                    > give away important secrets.

                    I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
                    the example to be fairly accurate.

                    Cheers.
                    Al
                  • haberschnasel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                      > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                      > wget:
                      > > >wget -q -O NUL
                      > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

                      I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                      installed. Any help anybody?
                    • prb0x
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                        <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                        > > wget:
                        >
                        > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                        > installed. Any help anybody?

                        It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
                        available within:

                        http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

                        Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
                        linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
                        well put openlink on if you don't already.

                        Cheers,
                        Al