Dynamic DNS

  • niblarto
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2005
      Hello
      I have a Linkstation II (MIPS) and I use a Dynamic DNS service at
      www.dtdns.com

      My LSII and my PC's are behind a router, does anyone know of a program
      or script I can run that will be able to find the public IP address of
      the router / modem and publish it to the dtdns service?

      Cheers

      Niblet
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
        Why don't you use the update clients at http://www.dtdns.com/index.cfm?
        fuseaction=info.clients

        However, I have never used dtdns.com. My LS2 is running noip happily.
      • niblarto
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
          <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

          > Why don't you use the update clients at http://www.dtdns.com/index.cfm?
          > fuseaction=info.clients
          >
          > However, I have never used dtdns.com. My LS2 is running noip happily.

          Can you provide me some of the details?

          what is the web site for the service you use and what script do you
          use too?

          Cheers

          Niblet
        • calvinlsc
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "niblarto" <scott.birch-
            horn@n...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
            > <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Why don't you use the update clients at
            http://www.dtdns.com/index.cfm?
            > > fuseaction=info.clients
            > >
            > > However, I have never used dtdns.com. My LS2 is running noip
            happily.

            > Can you provide me some of the details?
            >
            > what is the web site for the service you use and what script do you
            > use too?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Niblet

            www.no-ip.com

            I use the official update client which is also available there. With
            a little modification to the script, it can be started/stopped like
            other daemon.

            Be sure you have openlink installed to compile the program.
          • haberschnasel
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
              <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

              > www.no-ip.com
              >
              > I use the official update client which is also available there. With
              > a little modification to the script, it can be started/stopped like
              > other daemon.
              >
              > Be sure you have openlink installed to compile the program.

              I do not have openlink but the orig. 1.45 firmware w/ myroot. If
              someone compiled it for the LS1 could she/he please provide the
              binaries? Would be great, I tried different clients and no one worked
              with my LS.
            • Thom Mason
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
                ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

                <scott.birch-horn@n...> wrote:

                > Hello
                > I have a Linkstation II (MIPS) and I use a Dynamic DNS service at
                > www.dtdns.com
                >
                > My LSII and my PC's are behind a router, does anyone know of a program
                > or script I can run that will be able to find the public IP address of
                > the router / modem and publish it to the dtdns service?
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Niblet

              • haberschnasel
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
                  <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

                  > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.

                  But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
                  ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
                  something wrong?

                  Best,
                  h.
                • prb0x
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                    <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
                    > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > ddclient is a perl script that does the job.
                    >
                    > But not with the firmware 1.45. Perl seems to be too old. I tried:
                    > ddclient, addns, eponym, iadyn. None of these worked. Maybe I did
                    > something wrong?
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > h.

                    Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
                    wget -q -O NUL
                    http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?UTBZelMwL3lVzY0lBQUFyclVyYzoxMDQ3

                    HTH,
                    Al
                  • Roy M. Silvernail
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 8, 2005
                      prb0x wrote:

                      >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple wget:
                      >wget -q -O NUL
                      >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

                      Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
                      hijack your domain, right?

                      Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
                      give away important secrets.

                      --
                      Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                      "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
                        <roy@r...> wrote:

                        > prb0x wrote:
                        >
                        > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                        wget:
                        > >wget -q -O NUL
                        > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]
                        > >

                        > Er, you *do* realize you just gave everyone on the list the ability to
                        > hijack your domain, right?
                        >
                        > Safety first, campers! Examples are terriffic, but watch out you don't
                        > give away important secrets.

                        I thought of that one - but good point. I munged the key but I wanted
                        the example to be fairly accurate.

                        Cheers.
                        Al
                      • haberschnasel
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                          > > >Do you have to use DDNS? Afraid.org let you update doing a simple
                          > wget:
                          > > >wget -q -O NUL
                          > > >http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[update key elided]

                          I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                          installed. Any help anybody?
                        • prb0x
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
                            <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                            > > wget:
                            >
                            > I signed up to them - only to wee that this LS box has no wget
                            > installed. Any help anybody?

                            It was the MIPs LS you have, yes? In that case the wget package is
                            available within:

                            http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink#toc4

                            Not too sure if you can just extract wget to the /bin dir as it may be
                            linked to a different version of glibc and so on. But you might as
                            well put openlink on if you don't already.

                            Cheers,
                            Al