Linkstation + Gentoo

  • manuelbernhardt
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005

      i searched a long time for an NAS with enough ressources to run things
      like rsync or dnsmasq. Now, first i bought an ALLNET ALL6200 but this
      device hasn't enough memory and adding memory via swap isn't possible
      because the MIPS-CPU doesn't have an memory unit (MMU).
      Yet i found the LinkStation / Kuro-Box and many posts from statisfied
      people. I've now some questions which i hope that someone can answere
      it for me:

      - I'd read that i can run Gentoo on an Linkstation; Runs Gentoo only
      on the PPC-Linkstation Version or is also an Version for the
      MIPS-Linkstation available?
      - Is there an difference in speed between PPC- and MIPS-Version ?
      - Is there an "easy" way, maybe get an Kuro-Box in Germany ?
      - Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
      in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...

      Thanks for every help!

      mb
    • Thom Mason
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
        The Kurobox website is back up for sales (www.revogear.com). They
        will ship to Germany but you need to get a transformer since the Kuro
        is 110 V (or change PS). The gentoo installation routine is at:

        http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=projectsGenToo

        I don't know of any MIPS gentoo installs.

        Thom
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "manuelbernhardt"
        <manuelbernhardt@y...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > i searched a long time for an NAS with enough ressources to run things
        > like rsync or dnsmasq. Now, first i bought an ALLNET ALL6200 but this
        > device hasn't enough memory and adding memory via swap isn't possible
        > because the MIPS-CPU doesn't have an memory unit (MMU).
        > Yet i found the LinkStation / Kuro-Box and many posts from statisfied
        > people. I've now some questions which i hope that someone can answere
        > it for me:
        >
        > - I'd read that i can run Gentoo on an Linkstation; Runs Gentoo only
        > on the PPC-Linkstation Version or is also an Version for the
        > MIPS-Linkstation available?
        > - Is there an difference in speed between PPC- and MIPS-Version ?
        > - Is there an "easy" way, maybe get an Kuro-Box in Germany ?
        > - Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
        > in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...
        >
        > Thanks for every help!
        >
        > mb

      • Frank Bertling
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
          Am Dienstag, 8. November 2005 07:46 schrieb manuelbernhardt:
          > Hi,
          [Gentoo on linkstation for several reasons]

          Hi, I do have a (in fact two) linkstation. One is running with debian
          (http://linkstationwiki.org) and is doing things like rsync, dnsmasq and even
          an apache webserver. All this apart from its normal function (exporting
          files)
          Maybe you should take a look on it.

          Regards
          Frank
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
            <manuelbernhardt@y...> wrote:

            > I've now some questions which i hope that someone can answere
            > it for me:
            >
            > - I'd read that i can run Gentoo on an Linkstation; Runs Gentoo only
            > on the PPC-Linkstation Version or is also an Version for the
            > MIPS-Linkstation available?

            Not that I'm aware of. It should be possible for you to build one
            however. You'll likely be the first one to do it. With all these OS
            replacement schemes, we leave the original kernel and initial ramdisk
            intact since it resides in flash memory and is very unforgiving to
            tinkering, and only replace the files out on the root file system. We
            even have a mechanism in place where you can build your new OS out on
            the "data" partition of the Linkstation and swap the partition entries
            around when you wish to try to boot on it.

            > - Is there an difference in speed between PPC- and MIPS-Version ?

            From the last comparison I saw, they were both pretty closely matched
            in performance.

            > - Is there an "easy" way, maybe get an Kuro-Box in Germany ?

            Don't know.

            > - Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
            > in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...

            I would try ebay.com for this.

            > Thanks for every help!

            The Kurobox people tended to run Gentoo, where as us Linkstation
            people tend to run Debian. I suspect these days there are more of us
            with Debianized Linkstations than Gentoo-ed Linkstations or Kuroboxes.
            Gentoo is a very good Linux distribution, but you might find it
            easier to get Debian running on either a PPC or MIPS variety. From
            there it might be easier to go to Gentoo on the MIPS if you want to
            because at least you'll have a full featured Linux OS on the
            Linkstation to work with.
          • calvinlsc
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
              I'd also like to run Gentoo on my MIPS LinkStation. Unfortunately, I
              totally don't have any clue (and time) to do so. If anyone has decided
              to build one (or already have done so), please let me know.
            • Josef Shvejk
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
                >Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
                >in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...

                Get one of HG (gigabit) models. It has PPC and 128 MB of RAM (same as Kuro Box).
                It is cheaper then Kuro Box and it has universal PSU.

                Hope this helps,

              • stannusw
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005
                  Hi guys,

                  Where you get the HG with universal psu? From US?
                  I'm interesting to have one too.

                  Stannus

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Josef Shvejk
                  <shvejk@g...> wrote:

                  > >Is there an way, get an PPC-Linkstation (if Gentoo runs only on it)
                  > >in Germany? I know, the PPC-Version is the old one...
                  > Get one of HG (gigabit) models. It has PPC and 128 MB of RAM (same
                  as Kuro
                  > Box).
                  > It is cheaper then Kuro Box and it has universal PSU.
                  > Hope this helps,

                • Josef Shvejk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 14, 2005

                    I got mine at www.buy.com