Success with Source Code Control install (Perforce)

  • mphoust2
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29 8:14 AM
      For those who care, I was able to get Perforce running on the
      linkstation. Not too tough. It is much faster than the old laptop I
      had running it. Now to get a backup USB drive :).

      Looks like my goal of a Source Code control appliance is within reach.

      BTW, Remember to upgrade to the 1.44 firmware to get telnet access.

      Next up is figuring out how to get the daemon to perforce startup
      automatically on boot. Looks like it is time to get root access.

      It looks like /etc/rc.d directory on the hda1 is the one run at boot
      time. Can anyone confirm this? I was a little concerned about the
      ramdisk, but I can't tell if it boots from that, or the hda1
      partition. If I figure it out, I will post...
    • Derek Taubert
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29 12:00 PM
        On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 03:14:55PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
        > For those who care, I was able to get Perforce running on the
        > linkstation. Not too tough. It is much faster than the old laptop I
        > had running it. Now to get a backup USB drive :).
        >
        > Looks like my goal of a Source Code control appliance is within reach.
        >
        > BTW, Remember to upgrade to the 1.44 firmware to get telnet access.
        >
        > Next up is figuring out how to get the daemon to perforce startup
        > automatically on boot. Looks like it is time to get root access.
        >
        > It looks like /etc/rc.d directory on the hda1 is the one run at boot
        > time. Can anyone confirm this? I was a little concerned about the

        Yea, that's the one. If you have a script to start/stop p4d, I'd do the
        following:

        1) Plop that script into /etc/init.d.
        2) Symlink to it from both /etc/rc.d/rc2.d (S... for start) and
        /etc/rc.d/rc[06].d (K... for kill).

        Derek

        > ramdisk, but I can't tell if it boots from that, or the hda1
        > partition. If I figure it out, I will post...
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mphoust2
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29 1:37 PM
          Ok, I got root access like your note on Roku Forums explained.

          Now, I need to get 'su' so I can start the daemon with the right user.
          I thought about using cron to check to see if the process is running
          or not and starting, but that seems like a pain.

          Any suggestions on how to get 'su'? How are you extracting them from
          the Yellowdog .rpm files? I turned off my other Linux machine, so I
          won't be able to run rpm2cpio easily (can be re-started if needed).

          No big hurry.

          Thanks again for your help.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert