Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Great idea, have NSLU2, just ordered Linkstation 160 for $80 (after rebate)

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29 7:57 AM
      Stuart,

      Wow, that's cheap power .004USD/KWH. I think most of us in the US are
      paying something like 0.10USD/KWH.
      My current server is drawing about 200 Watts 24 hours a day 365 day per
      year. Which is 4.8 KWH/Day (200 * 24 / 1000 = 0.48) or $0.48/Day,
      $14.40/month or $175.20/year. The linkstation should be < 40 watts
      therefore using 80% less power saving me $140.16 per year.

      JR
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 29 8:46 AM
        I think I saw somewhere (datasheet? Specs posted to this mailing
        list?) that the Linkstation is 17W. I know that the observed NSLU2
        power consumption (from the nslu2 mailing list) was about 4W (without
        including the HD).

        Less than $1 a month for the nslu2 (since my HD autospins down after 5
        minutes idle - Maxtor OneTouch).

        - Michael

      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 29 9:35 AM
          Michael,

          You are correct it seems the Linkstation datasheet says 17W max. I thought
          it was 17 watts when idle and something like 37 watt when being accessed. So
          guess it's more like 90% less power costing me only about $1.25/month to
          run.
          (17 * 24 * 30 / 1000 = 12.25 KWH/Month or @ $0.10/KWH $1.23 month.

          Of course these saving assume that I shut down my old server. ;-)

          JR