Re: Linkstation v2.00 and Netgear MP101 issues!

  • allezsport2006
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
      I've managed to succesfully upgrade to v2.05 but still can't telnet
      into it. I'm using Windows XP Pro and type "o 192.168.0.2" but get
      the error message 'Connecting to 192.168.0.2...Could not open
      connection to host, on port 23: Connect failed'. I'm not familiar
      with telnet at all so if you could point me in the right direction,
      I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, PC Solutions
      <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

      > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
      > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
      > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
      >
      > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
      > <pcplob@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
      > the firmware
      > version
      > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
      > which is
      > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
      > you can't exploit
      > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
      > >
      > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
      > mips boxes (I've
      > just
      > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
      > LSII hacking how-
      > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
      > >
      > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
      > with the 1.xx
      > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
      > the mips
      > version of
      > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
      > >
      > > ~Plob~
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
      > "allezsport2006"
      > > <andy@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
      > below 1.45
      > (from
      > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
      > later.
      > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
      > music server
      > with my
      > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
      > storage? If this is
      > the
      > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
      > particularly as there
      > is
      > > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
      > site!
      > > > Any help gratefully received!
      > > >

      > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
      > goto
      > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
      > downloads section
      > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
      >
      > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
      > interest you.

      > Buffalo linkstation

      > Terms of Service.
      >

      > ---------------------------------

    • PC Solutions
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
        Did you go to linkstationwiki.org and install the
        openlink version of the OS? This will allow you to
        telnet in and then complete the other steps spoecified
        in the instructions.

        ---------------------------------

        <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

        > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
        > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
        > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
        >
        > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
        > <pcplob@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
        > the firmware
        > version
        > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
        > which is
        > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
        > you can't exploit
        > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
        > >
        > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
        > mips boxes (I've
        > just
        > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
        > LSII hacking how-
        > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
        > >
        > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly
        then
        > with the 1.xx
        > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
        > the mips
        > version of
        > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
        > >
        > > ~Plob~
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
        > "allezsport2006"
        > > <andy@p...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware
        versions
        > below 1.45
        > (from
        > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
        > later.
        > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
        > music server
        > with my
        > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
        > storage? If this is
        > the
        > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
        > particularly as there
        > is
        > > > no mention of this restriction on the
        Twonkyvision
        > site!
        > > > Any help gratefully received!
        > > >

        > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install
        openlink,
        > goto
        > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
        > downloads section
        > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
        >
        > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It
        may
        > interest you.

        > Buffalo linkstation

        to:

        Yahoo!
        > Terms of Service.

        Buffalo linkstation

        Terms of Service.

      • allezsport2006
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
          Yes, I now have Openlink 2.05 installed and telnet is working. I
          inadvertantly installed the stock firmware the first time - d'oh!