Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Linkstation v2.00 and Netgear MP101 issues!

  • PC Solutions
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
      I had the same probably yesterday and installed
      openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
      limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.

      --- gouldyis <gouldyis@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
      <pcplob@y...>
      wrote:

      > As you probably discovered from your research, if
      the firmware
      version
      > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
      which is
      > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
      you can't exploit
      > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
      >
      > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
      mips boxes (I've
      just
      > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
      LSII hacking how-
      > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
      >
      > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
      with the 1.xx
      > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
      the mips
      version of
      > the twonky linkstation binaries.
      >
      > ~Plob~

      "allezsport2006"
      > <andy@p...> wrote:
      >
      > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
      below 1.45
      (from
      > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
      later.
      > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
      music server
      with my
      > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
      storage? If this is
      the
      > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
      particularly as there
      is
      > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
      site!
      > > Any help gratefully received!

      The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
      goto
      http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
      downloads section
      that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).

      Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
      interest you.

      Buffalo linkstation

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
    • allezsport2006
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
        Many thanks for that. My aim for this week is to get the MP101 up
        and running again.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
          I've managed to succesfully upgrade to v2.05 but still can't telnet
          into it. I'm using Windows XP Pro and type "o 192.168.0.2" but get
          the error message 'Connecting to 192.168.0.2...Could not open
          connection to host, on port 23: Connect failed'. I'm not familiar
          with telnet at all so if you could point me in the right direction,
          I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, PC Solutions
          <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

          > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
          > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
          > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
          >
          > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
          > <pcplob@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
          > the firmware
          > version
          > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
          > which is
          > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
          > you can't exploit
          > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
          > >
          > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
          > mips boxes (I've
          > just
          > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
          > LSII hacking how-
          > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
          > >
          > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
          > with the 1.xx
          > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
          > the mips
          > version of
          > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
          > >
          > > ~Plob~
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
          > "allezsport2006"
          > > <andy@p...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
          > below 1.45
          > (from
          > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
          > later.
          > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
          > music server
          > with my
          > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
          > storage? If this is
          > the
          > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
          > particularly as there
          > is
          > > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
          > site!
          > > > Any help gratefully received!
          > > >

          > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
          > goto
          > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
          > downloads section
          > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
          >
          > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
          > interest you.

          > Buffalo linkstation

          > Terms of Service.
          >

          > ---------------------------------

        • PC Solutions
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
            Did you go to linkstationwiki.org and install the
            openlink version of the OS? This will allow you to
            telnet in and then complete the other steps spoecified
            in the instructions.

            ---------------------------------

            <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

            > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
            > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
            > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
            >
            > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
            > <pcplob@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
            > the firmware
            > version
            > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
            > which is
            > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
            > you can't exploit
            > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
            > >
            > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
            > mips boxes (I've
            > just
            > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
            > LSII hacking how-
            > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
            > >
            > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly
            then
            > with the 1.xx
            > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
            > the mips
            > version of
            > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
            > >
            > > ~Plob~
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
            > "allezsport2006"
            > > <andy@p...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware
            versions
            > below 1.45
            > (from
            > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
            > later.
            > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
            > music server
            > with my
            > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
            > storage? If this is
            > the
            > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
            > particularly as there
            > is
            > > > no mention of this restriction on the
            Twonkyvision
            > site!
            > > > Any help gratefully received!
            > > >

            > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install
            openlink,
            > goto
            > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
            > downloads section
            > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
            >
            > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It
            may
            > interest you.

            > Buffalo linkstation

            to:

            Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service.

            Buffalo linkstation

            Terms of Service.

          • allezsport2006
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
              Yes, I now have Openlink 2.05 installed and telnet is working. I
              inadvertantly installed the stock firmware the first time - d'oh!