Re: Linkstation v2.00 and Netgear MP101 issues!

  • gouldyis
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob" <pcplob@y...>
      wrote:

      > As you probably discovered from your research, if the firmware
      version
      > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box which is
      > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so you can't exploit
      > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
      >
      > However, it is possible to install twonky on the mips boxes (I've
      just
      > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the LSII hacking how-
      > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
      >
      > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then with the 1.xx
      > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use the mips
      version of
      > the twonky linkstation binaries.
      >
      > ~Plob~
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "allezsport2006"
      > <andy@p...> wrote:
      >
      > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions below 1.45
      (from
      > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or later.
      > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a music server
      with my
      > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network storage? If this is
      the
      > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset, particularly as there
      is
      > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision site!
      > > Any help gratefully received!

      The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink, goto
      http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the downloads section
      that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).

      Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may interest you.
    • PC Solutions
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
        I had the same probably yesterday and installed
        openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
        limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.

        ---------------------------------
        wrote:

        > As you probably discovered from your research, if
        the firmware
        version
        > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
        which is
        > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
        you can't exploit
        > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
        >
        > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
        mips boxes (I've
        just
        > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
        LSII hacking how-
        > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
        >
        > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
        with the 1.xx
        > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
        the mips
        version of
        > the twonky linkstation binaries.
        >
        > ~Plob~

        "allezsport2006"
        > <andy@p...> wrote:
        >
        > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
        below 1.45
        (from
        > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
        later.
        > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
        music server
        with my
        > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
        storage? If this is
        the
        > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
        particularly as there
        is
        > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
        site!
        > > Any help gratefully received!

        The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
        goto
        http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
        downloads section
        that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).

        Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
        interest you.

        Buffalo linkstation

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • allezsport2006
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
          Many thanks for that. My aim for this week is to get the MP101 up
          and running again.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
            I've managed to succesfully upgrade to v2.05 but still can't telnet
            into it. I'm using Windows XP Pro and type "o 192.168.0.2" but get
            the error message 'Connecting to 192.168.0.2...Could not open
            connection to host, on port 23: Connect failed'. I'm not familiar
            with telnet at all so if you could point me in the right direction,
            I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, PC Solutions
            <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

            > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
            > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
            > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
            >
            > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
            > <pcplob@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
            > the firmware
            > version
            > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
            > which is
            > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
            > you can't exploit
            > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
            > >
            > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
            > mips boxes (I've
            > just
            > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
            > LSII hacking how-
            > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
            > >
            > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
            > with the 1.xx
            > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
            > the mips
            > version of
            > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
            > >
            > > ~Plob~
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
            > "allezsport2006"
            > > <andy@p...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
            > below 1.45
            > (from
            > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
            > later.
            > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
            > music server
            > with my
            > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
            > storage? If this is
            > the
            > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
            > particularly as there
            > is
            > > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
            > site!
            > > > Any help gratefully received!
            > > >

            > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
            > goto
            > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
            > downloads section
            > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
            >
            > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
            > interest you.

            > Buffalo linkstation

            > Terms of Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

          • PC Solutions
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
              Did you go to linkstationwiki.org and install the
              openlink version of the OS? This will allow you to
              telnet in and then complete the other steps spoecified
              in the instructions.

              ---------------------------------

              <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

              > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
              > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
              > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
              >
              > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
              > <pcplob@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
              > the firmware
              > version
              > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
              > which is
              > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
              > you can't exploit
              > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
              > >
              > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
              > mips boxes (I've
              > just
              > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
              > LSII hacking how-
              > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
              > >
              > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly
              then
              > with the 1.xx
              > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
              > the mips
              > version of
              > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
              > >
              > > ~Plob~
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
              > "allezsport2006"
              > > <andy@p...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware
              versions
              > below 1.45
              > (from
              > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
              > later.
              > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
              > music server
              > with my
              > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
              > storage? If this is
              > the
              > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
              > particularly as there
              > is
              > > > no mention of this restriction on the
              Twonkyvision
              > site!
              > > > Any help gratefully received!
              > > >

              > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install
              openlink,
              > goto
              > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
              > downloads section
              > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
              >
              > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It
              may
              > interest you.

              > Buffalo linkstation

              to:

              Yahoo!
              > Terms of Service.

              Buffalo linkstation

              Terms of Service.

            • allezsport2006
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
                Yes, I now have Openlink 2.05 installed and telnet is working. I
                inadvertantly installed the stock firmware the first time - d'oh!