Re: Linkstation v2.00 and Netgear MP101 issues!

  • pcplob
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
      As you probably discovered from your research, if the firmware version
      of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box which is
      incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so you can't exploit
      the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).

      However, it is possible to install twonky on the mips boxes (I've just
      finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the LSII hacking how-to
      at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/

      Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then with the 1.xx
      firmware types & note that you'll also need to use the mips version of
      the twonky linkstation binaries.

      ~Plob~

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "allezsport2006"
      <andy@p...> wrote:

      > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions below 1.45 (from
      > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or later.
      > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a music server with my
      > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network storage? If this is the
      > case then I'm going to be mightily upset, particularly as there is
      > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision site!
      > Any help gratefully received!

    • gouldyis
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob" <pcplob@y...>
        wrote:

        > As you probably discovered from your research, if the firmware
        version
        > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box which is
        > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so you can't exploit
        > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
        >
        > However, it is possible to install twonky on the mips boxes (I've
        just
        > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the LSII hacking how-
        > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
        >
        > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then with the 1.xx
        > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use the mips
        version of
        > the twonky linkstation binaries.
        >
        > ~Plob~
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "allezsport2006"
        > <andy@p...> wrote:
        >
        > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions below 1.45
        (from
        > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or later.
        > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a music server
        with my
        > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network storage? If this is
        the
        > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset, particularly as there
        is
        > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision site!
        > > Any help gratefully received!

        The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink, goto
        http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the downloads section
        that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).

        Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may interest you.
      • PC Solutions
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
          I had the same probably yesterday and installed
          openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
          limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.

          ---------------------------------
          wrote:

          > As you probably discovered from your research, if
          the firmware
          version
          > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
          which is
          > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
          you can't exploit
          > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
          >
          > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
          mips boxes (I've
          just
          > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
          LSII hacking how-
          > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
          >
          > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
          with the 1.xx
          > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
          the mips
          version of
          > the twonky linkstation binaries.
          >
          > ~Plob~

          "allezsport2006"
          > <andy@p...> wrote:
          >
          > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
          below 1.45
          (from
          > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
          later.
          > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
          music server
          with my
          > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
          storage? If this is
          the
          > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
          particularly as there
          is
          > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
          site!
          > > Any help gratefully received!

          The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
          goto
          http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
          downloads section
          that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).

          Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
          interest you.

          Buffalo linkstation

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
        • allezsport2006
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
            Many thanks for that. My aim for this week is to get the MP101 up
            and running again.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
              I've managed to succesfully upgrade to v2.05 but still can't telnet
              into it. I'm using Windows XP Pro and type "o 192.168.0.2" but get
              the error message 'Connecting to 192.168.0.2...Could not open
              connection to host, on port 23: Connect failed'. I'm not familiar
              with telnet at all so if you could point me in the right direction,
              I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, PC Solutions
              <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

              > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
              > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
              > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
              >
              > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
              > <pcplob@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
              > the firmware
              > version
              > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
              > which is
              > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
              > you can't exploit
              > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
              > >
              > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
              > mips boxes (I've
              > just
              > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
              > LSII hacking how-
              > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
              > >
              > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
              > with the 1.xx
              > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
              > the mips
              > version of
              > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
              > >
              > > ~Plob~
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
              > "allezsport2006"
              > > <andy@p...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
              > below 1.45
              > (from
              > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
              > later.
              > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
              > music server
              > with my
              > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
              > storage? If this is
              > the
              > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
              > particularly as there
              > is
              > > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
              > site!
              > > > Any help gratefully received!
              > > >

              > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
              > goto
              > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
              > downloads section
              > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
              >
              > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
              > interest you.

              > Buffalo linkstation

              > Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------

            • PC Solutions
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
                Did you go to linkstationwiki.org and install the
                openlink version of the OS? This will allow you to
                telnet in and then complete the other steps spoecified
                in the instructions.

                ---------------------------------

                <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

                > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
                > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
                > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
                >
                > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
                > <pcplob@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
                > the firmware
                > version
                > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
                > which is
                > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
                > you can't exploit
                > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
                > >
                > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
                > mips boxes (I've
                > just
                > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
                > LSII hacking how-
                > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
                > >
                > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly
                then
                > with the 1.xx
                > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
                > the mips
                > version of
                > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
                > >
                > > ~Plob~
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                > "allezsport2006"
                > > <andy@p...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware
                versions
                > below 1.45
                > (from
                > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
                > later.
                > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
                > music server
                > with my
                > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
                > storage? If this is
                > the
                > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
                > particularly as there
                > is
                > > > no mention of this restriction on the
                Twonkyvision
                > site!
                > > > Any help gratefully received!
                > > >

                > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install
                openlink,
                > goto
                > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
                > downloads section
                > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
                >
                > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It
                may
                > interest you.

                > Buffalo linkstation

                to:

                Yahoo!
                > Terms of Service.

                Buffalo linkstation

                Terms of Service.

              • allezsport2006
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
                  Yes, I now have Openlink 2.05 installed and telnet is working. I
                  inadvertantly installed the stock firmware the first time - d'oh!