Linkstation v2.00 and Netgear MP101 issues!

  • allezsport2006
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2005
      I wonder if anyone can help me with the following. About 6 months
      ago I bought a Netgear MP101 and set it up with my home server
      running Windows 2000. This pairing worked fine and I was very happy
      with it but I was concerned about the power being consumed running
      the server 24/7.
      Whilst checking out the Twonkyvision website one day, I discovered
      that their software would let me service the MP101 via a Buffalo
      Linkstation and so duly bought the 120Gb version and sold the
      server. I had no problems setting the Linkstation up with my home
      network and set up shared folders for everyone in my household to
      use.
      So far so good, but when I finally got around to setting it up with
      the MP101 I ran into a brick wall. All attempts to telnet into it
      failed and after hours researching online it appears that
      Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions below 1.45 (from
      memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or later.
      Is there any way that I can get it to work as a music server with my
      MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network storage? If this is the
      case then I'm going to be mightily upset, particularly as there is
      no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision site!
      Any help gratefully received!
    • pcplob
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
        As you probably discovered from your research, if the firmware version
        of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box which is
        incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so you can't exploit
        the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).

        However, it is possible to install twonky on the mips boxes (I've just
        finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the LSII hacking how-to
        at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/

        Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then with the 1.xx
        firmware types & note that you'll also need to use the mips version of
        the twonky linkstation binaries.

        ~Plob~

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "allezsport2006"
        <andy@p...> wrote:

        > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions below 1.45 (from
        > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or later.
        > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a music server with my
        > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network storage? If this is the
        > case then I'm going to be mightily upset, particularly as there is
        > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision site!
        > Any help gratefully received!

      • gouldyis
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob" <pcplob@y...>
          wrote:

          > As you probably discovered from your research, if the firmware
          version
          > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box which is
          > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so you can't exploit
          > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
          >
          > However, it is possible to install twonky on the mips boxes (I've
          just
          > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the LSII hacking how-
          > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
          >
          > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then with the 1.xx
          > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use the mips
          version of
          > the twonky linkstation binaries.
          >
          > ~Plob~
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "allezsport2006"
          > <andy@p...> wrote:
          >
          > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions below 1.45
          (from
          > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or later.
          > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a music server
          with my
          > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network storage? If this is
          the
          > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset, particularly as there
          is
          > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision site!
          > > Any help gratefully received!

          The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink, goto
          http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the downloads section
          that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).

          Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may interest you.
        • PC Solutions
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
            I had the same probably yesterday and installed
            openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
            limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.

            ---------------------------------
            wrote:

            > As you probably discovered from your research, if
            the firmware
            version
            > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
            which is
            > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
            you can't exploit
            > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
            >
            > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
            mips boxes (I've
            just
            > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
            LSII hacking how-
            > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
            >
            > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
            with the 1.xx
            > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
            the mips
            version of
            > the twonky linkstation binaries.
            >
            > ~Plob~

            "allezsport2006"
            > <andy@p...> wrote:
            >
            > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
            below 1.45
            (from
            > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
            later.
            > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
            music server
            with my
            > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
            storage? If this is
            the
            > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
            particularly as there
            is
            > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
            site!
            > > Any help gratefully received!

            The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
            goto
            http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
            downloads section
            that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).

            Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
            interest you.

            Buffalo linkstation

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------
          • allezsport2006
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
              Many thanks for that. My aim for this week is to get the MP101 up
              and running again.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
                I've managed to succesfully upgrade to v2.05 but still can't telnet
                into it. I'm using Windows XP Pro and type "o 192.168.0.2" but get
                the error message 'Connecting to 192.168.0.2...Could not open
                connection to host, on port 23: Connect failed'. I'm not familiar
                with telnet at all so if you could point me in the right direction,
                I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, PC Solutions
                <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

                > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
                > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
                > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
                >
                > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
                > <pcplob@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
                > the firmware
                > version
                > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
                > which is
                > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
                > you can't exploit
                > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
                > >
                > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
                > mips boxes (I've
                > just
                > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
                > LSII hacking how-
                > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
                > >
                > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly then
                > with the 1.xx
                > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
                > the mips
                > version of
                > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
                > >
                > > ~Plob~
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                > "allezsport2006"
                > > <andy@p...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware versions
                > below 1.45
                > (from
                > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
                > later.
                > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
                > music server
                > with my
                > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
                > storage? If this is
                > the
                > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
                > particularly as there
                > is
                > > > no mention of this restriction on the Twonkyvision
                > site!
                > > > Any help gratefully received!
                > > >

                > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install openlink,
                > goto
                > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
                > downloads section
                > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
                >
                > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It may
                > interest you.

                > Buffalo linkstation

                > Terms of Service.
                >

                > ---------------------------------

              • PC Solutions
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Did you go to linkstationwiki.org and install the
                  openlink version of the OS? This will allow you to
                  telnet in and then complete the other steps spoecified
                  in the instructions.

                  ---------------------------------

                  <pc_solutions@s...> wrote:

                  > I had the same probably yesterday and installed
                  > openlink per a thread I found in the group. With my
                  > limited knowledge of linux/vi I am now golden.
                  >
                  > --- gouldyis <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob"
                  > <pcplob@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > As you probably discovered from your research, if
                  > the firmware
                  > version
                  > > of your LS is 2.xx, then you have a mips based box
                  > which is
                  > > incompatible with the ppc based 1.xx firmware (so
                  > you can't exploit
                  > > the pre 1.45 firmwares with telnet).
                  > >
                  > > However, it is possible to install twonky on the
                  > mips boxes (I've
                  > just
                  > > finished doing that to mine) - take a look at the
                  > LSII hacking how-
                  > > at http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
                  > >
                  > > Getting root access/telnet is a bit more fiddly
                  then
                  > with the 1.xx
                  > > firmware types & note that you'll also need to use
                  > the mips
                  > version of
                  > > the twonky linkstation binaries.
                  > >
                  > > ~Plob~
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                  > "allezsport2006"
                  > > <andy@p...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Twonkyvision will only work with firmware
                  versions
                  > below 1.45
                  > (from
                  > > > memory) and that it won't work with version 2 or
                  > later.
                  > > > Is there any way that I can get it to work as a
                  > music server
                  > with my
                  > > > MP101 or am I stuck just using it as network
                  > storage? If this is
                  > the
                  > > > case then I'm going to be mightily upset,
                  > particularly as there
                  > is
                  > > > no mention of this restriction on the
                  Twonkyvision
                  > site!
                  > > > Any help gratefully received!
                  > > >

                  > The easiest way to gain telnet is to install
                  openlink,
                  > goto
                  > http://linkstationwiki.org/ and find it in the
                  > downloads section
                  > that applies to your Linkstation (MIPS).
                  >
                  > Have you read posts 4225 & 4229 in this group? It
                  may
                  > interest you.

                  > Buffalo linkstation

                  to:

                  Yahoo!
                  > Terms of Service.

                  Buffalo linkstation

                  Terms of Service.

                • allezsport2006
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Yes, I now have Openlink 2.05 installed and telnet is working. I
                    inadvertantly installed the stock firmware the first time - d'oh!