Re: Mapping my Linkstation in Windows XP as a Network Drive

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "john_p_daniels" <john_p_daniels@y...>
      wrote:

      [...]
      > > Windows shares themselves dwell on the NetBIOS ports, roughly
      > speaking, 135, 137-179, 445 (see <http://ntsecurity.nu/papers/port445/> for details).

      Ouch, typo: not 137-179,445 but 137-139,445

      > Drive letters can be
      > > assigned with "net use" on the Windows system (see
      > <http://www.microsoft.com/
      > > resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
      > us/net_use.mspx>).
      [...]

      > while at work (or on the road),
      > what I would like to do is have access (read/write/modify) to a
      > files on my linkstation at home. For instance, could I play MP3s
      > streamed from my linkstation while on the road?

      You need stremaing software for that, like mt-daapd. Or mount your shares remotely,
      then tell your player to use them as its data source.

      > Or can I open my
      > quicken financial database on the road? I don't want to copy the file
      > (s) over, modify them, then copy them back (for my quicken example),
      > I'd like to work w/ them interactively. I thought of using windows
      > share folders for this, but I am having problems like mentioned
      > above.

      Make sure your shares are password protected. Open the NETBIOS ports mentioned above
      on your router, forward them ("NAT").

      > I also poked around w/ the winscp, and don't see such a
      > capability.

      Correct.

      > Would you (or anyone else) have any suggestions? I first
      > want to look at doing it non-securly (ie. no VPN), then if I get
      > that working, look at a more secure option.

      You could use an SSH tunnel once you got it going. Here's an example from my notes on
      how to create an SSH tunnel for a different service, VNC (port 5901). Add a grain of salt,
      and don't forget NAT of the ports you're using:

      <quote>If you want more security, because you will be working over the public
      internet, you can avoid opening up port 5901 in your firewall and/or
      router, and instead use ssh (port 22). Then from your Solaris system,
      use ssh and specify a tunnel for port 5901 that will then allow your
      Solaris VNC client to use the secure ssh tunnel.

      ssh -f -C -N -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901 username@...
      for the forwarding host you need to use the internal

      If you use the external IP then SSH tries to talk to your firewall.

      ssh 151.199.60.120 -l username -C -L 5902:192.168.1.100:5901
      </quote>

      > I use gotdns.org to map
      > my ip address to my local router, then use port forwarding on my
      > router to get to the buffalo.

      What ports? See the NETBIOS notes above

      > This is how I have been doing
      > ssh/sftp. But when I try to map a network drive, I enter:
      > \\URL.com\share ('share' is the name that I use on my buffalo, the
      > default share directory) and my login name/password, but it times
      > out. Any suggestions??!! Thanks!!

      You might need to add the workgroup to your \\ thing; but I'm only an occasional
      windows user :) The URLs mentioned earlier should prove helpful.

      -Andre