Re: Bricked LS2

  • powderskiboi
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
      I've opened up my LS2 and pluged the hdd into a desktop with knoppix
      The "Data" partion auto mounts but the "system" partition doesn't I've
      tried to run the fix_ext2_magic file and all I get is
      "Can't open /dev/hdc1" Any ideas what I can do to be able to view the
      contents of the "system" partition?

      TIA

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mike Caddy <yahoo@m...> wrote:

      > I was just in the process of recompiling PHP to support GD upon
      >
      > completion I found that apache had stopped responding the stock web UI
      > was still ok so i thought that something I'd done must of crashed
      > apache, I was done tinkering for the evening so I issued the command
      > 'reboot' and then went to bed. I've now got up to find that my NAS is
      > unresponsive on every service (smb, stock web,ssh,apache) The LS2
      > appears to boot the power light flashes for a short while and then
      > stabilizes, after about 5 minutes the Power light flashes again and
      > there is some HDD activity and it stabilizes again, still unresponsive?
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > TIA
      >

      > Mike

    • powderskiboi
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
        I have now disasembled my LS2 and gained access to all partitions
        (fix_ext2_magic now seems to work) is there anything that anyone can
        sugest I could do to identify what is not running?

        Current status is that my box currently appears to boot and then
        aproximatly every 5 minutes the activity light flashes and there is a
        short period of activity, is this some sort of watchdog or bootup
        timeout interveining and forcing a reboot?

        I have found a file called log.tar.gz containing a load of logs runing
        up to the date if all went wrong anyone think they can extract
        anything useful from it?

        currently var seems to sym link to /mnt/ram/var is that just because
        I'm in Knoppix? does this mean that all logs get writen to the ram disk?

        Can I get any sort of logs out of the LS2 in its current state?

        Help!!!

        TIA

        Mike

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "powderskiboi"