Bricked LS2

  • Mike Caddy
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2005
      I was just in the process of recompiling PHP to support GD upon

      completion I found that apache had stopped responding the stock web UI
      was still ok so i thought that something I'd done must of crashed
      apache, I was done tinkering for the evening so I issued the command
      'reboot' and then went to bed. I've now got up to find that my NAS is
      unresponsive on every service (smb, stock web,ssh,apache) The LS2
      appears to boot the power light flashes for a short while and then
      stabilizes, after about 5 minutes the Power light flashes again and
      there is some HDD activity and it stabilizes again, still unresponsive?

      Any ideas?

      TIA

      Mike
    • powderskiboi
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
        I've opened up my LS2 and pluged the hdd into a desktop with knoppix
        The "Data" partion auto mounts but the "system" partition doesn't I've
        tried to run the fix_ext2_magic file and all I get is
        "Can't open /dev/hdc1" Any ideas what I can do to be able to view the
        contents of the "system" partition?

        TIA

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mike Caddy <yahoo@m...> wrote:

        > I was just in the process of recompiling PHP to support GD upon
        >
        > completion I found that apache had stopped responding the stock web UI
        > was still ok so i thought that something I'd done must of crashed
        > apache, I was done tinkering for the evening so I issued the command
        > 'reboot' and then went to bed. I've now got up to find that my NAS is
        > unresponsive on every service (smb, stock web,ssh,apache) The LS2
        > appears to boot the power light flashes for a short while and then
        > stabilizes, after about 5 minutes the Power light flashes again and
        > there is some HDD activity and it stabilizes again, still unresponsive?
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > TIA
        >

        > Mike

      • powderskiboi
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
          I have now disasembled my LS2 and gained access to all partitions
          (fix_ext2_magic now seems to work) is there anything that anyone can
          sugest I could do to identify what is not running?

          Current status is that my box currently appears to boot and then
          aproximatly every 5 minutes the activity light flashes and there is a
          short period of activity, is this some sort of watchdog or bootup
          timeout interveining and forcing a reboot?

          I have found a file called log.tar.gz containing a load of logs runing
          up to the date if all went wrong anyone think they can extract
          anything useful from it?

          currently var seems to sym link to /mnt/ram/var is that just because
          I'm in Knoppix? does this mean that all logs get writen to the ram disk?

          Can I get any sort of logs out of the LS2 in its current state?

          Help!!!

          TIA

          Mike

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "powderskiboi"