Re: Set time on LinkStation

  • dbossler1
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
      another day... another 3 minutes.

      Something else is wrong. Any ideas?
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
      wrote:

      > No ^M
      > root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
      > timezone=-7$
      >
      > But it didn't work either.
      >
      > I still gained 3 minutes in one day
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
      > <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
      > > irvine_stock wrote:
      > >

      > > > Hi Dan,
      > > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
      > > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
      > > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
      > > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
      > > > find out why it matters.
      > > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the
      end.
      > > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
      > > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
      > > > the how to section. :-)

    • sjungels
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
        wrote:

        > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
        > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
        > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
        > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
        yet.
        > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
        time
        > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
        > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
        your local
        > timezone.
        >
        > Iain

        This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
        maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
        no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
        every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
        happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
        calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.

        If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:

        ---- snip ----
        SHELL=/bin/bash
        PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
        MAILTO=
        HOME=/

        02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
        05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
        ----snip ----

        If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
        with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
        by hand to call it once a week.
      • Rick Flower
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
          Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails from
          "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job fires
          off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day forwarded
          to my account....

          -- Rick

          On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
          > wrote:
          >

          >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
          >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
          >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
          >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
          > yet.
          >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
          > time
          >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
          >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
          > your local
          >> timezone.
          >>
          >> Iain
          >
          > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
          > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
          > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
          > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
          > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
          > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
          >
          > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
          >
          > ---- snip ----
          > SHELL=/bin/bash
          > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
          > MAILTO=
          > HOME=/
          >
          > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
          > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
          > ----snip ----
          >
          > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
          > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
          > by hand to call it once a week.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • sjungels
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
            wrote:
            > Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
            from
            > "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
            fires
            > off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
            forwarded
            > to my account....
            >
            > -- Rick

            Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
            /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
            /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

            --Stephen

            > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
            >

            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
            > > wrote:
            > >

            > >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
            > >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
            > >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
            sets the
            > >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
            > > yet.
            > >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
            > > time
            > >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
            > >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
            > > your local
            > >> timezone.
            > >>
            > >> Iain
            > >
            > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
            > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
            > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
            > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
            > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
            > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
            > >
            > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
            > >
            > > ---- snip ----
            > > SHELL=/bin/bash
            > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
            > > MAILTO=
            > > HOME=/
            > >
            > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
            > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
            > > ----snip ----
            > >
            > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
            > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
            > > by hand to call it once a week.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rick Flower
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
              Yeah, I knew that, but haven't done it yet.. (8->

              -- Rick

              On Dec 3, 2004, at 4:59 PM, sjungels wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
              > wrote:
              >> Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
              > from
              >> "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
              > fires
              >> off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
              > forwarded
              >> to my account....
              >>
              >> -- Rick
              >>

              > Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
              > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
              > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
              >
              > --Stephen
              >

              >> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
              >>

              >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson
              >>> <iain@i...>

              > sets the
              >>> yet.
              >>> time
              >>> your local

              >>> This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
              >>> maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
              >>> no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
              >>> every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
              >>> happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
              >>> calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
              >>>
              >>> If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
              >>>
              >>> ---- snip ----
              >>> SHELL=/bin/bash
              >>> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
              >>> MAILTO=
              >>> HOME=/
              >>>
              >>> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
              >>> 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
              >>> ----snip ----
              >>>
              >>> If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
              >>> with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
              >>> by hand to call it once a week.
              >>>

              >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • dbossler1
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                Hey Stephan,
                The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)

                Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                system time, or the RTC?

                ... Dan

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                sets the
                > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                > yet.
                > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                > time
                > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                > your local
                > > timezone.
                > >
                > > Iain
                >
                > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                >
                > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                >
                > ---- snip ----
                > SHELL=/bin/bash
                > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                > MAILTO=
                > HOME=/
                >
                > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                > ----snip ----
                >
                > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                > by hand to call it once a week.
              • sjungels
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                  You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                  absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                  being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.

                  Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                  discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                  scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                  haven't come up with anything better, though.

                  -- Stephen

                  wrote:

                  > Hey Stephan,
                  > The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                  > knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)
                  >
                  > Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                  > will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                  > system time, or the RTC?
                  >
                  > ... Dan
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                  > > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                  > > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                  > sets the
                  > > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                  > > yet.
                  > > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                  > > time
                  > > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                  > > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                  > > your local
                  > > > timezone.
                  > > >
                  > > > Iain
                  > >
                  > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                  > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                  > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                  > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                  > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                  > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                  > >
                  > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                  > >
                  > > ---- snip ----
                  > > SHELL=/bin/bash
                  > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                  > > MAILTO=
                  > > HOME=/
                  > >
                  > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                  > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                  > > ----snip ----
                  > >
                  > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                  > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                  > > by hand to call it once a week.
                • dbossler1
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                    how do I tell what the RTC time is?

                    wrote:

                    > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                    > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                    > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                    >
                    > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                    > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                    > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                    > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                    >
                    > -- Stephen
                  • sjungels
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                      Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you
                      changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same.
                      Then you can read the system time simply by typing "date" (but you
                      probably knew that).

                      wrote:

                      > how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                      > > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                      > > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                      > >
                      > > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                      > > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                      > > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                      > > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                      > >
                      > > -- Stephen
                    • Sal D'Anna
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004

                        Hello,

                        Thank you for all the great info.  I’m new to the list and have a question.  Is it possible to have two USB disks connected to the LinkStation?  I can’t seem to get it to recognize the second USB drive.  If I try to make a share folder named usbdisk2 it tells me that I can’t use that name so that makes me think that it knows it is there but just won’t link me to it.  The other question I have is why the LinkStation is sharing a printer that does not exist since I have none connected to it?

                        Thanks,

                        SBD