Re: Mapping my Linkstation in Windows XP as a Network Drive

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "john_p_daniels" <john_p_daniels@y...>
      wrote:

      > > sshd -d -f /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config

      > Okay, some success! The last command above was very helpful. The -d
      > option was a debug mode (but you knew that! ;-)), so it showed what
      > was going on. It errored saying that directory /var/empty did not
      > exist.

      Well, I told you ;)

      > So, I created this manually, then tried the command again.
      > This time it worked! I did change that port to 22222, then did port
      > forwarding on my router as well. I then updated the /etc/init.d/ssh
      > startup script by forcing the creation of the /var/empty directory.

      Way to go, John!

      > I killed the sshd process, then did a reboot. The sshd process was
      > started this time (!!), but I did not see the /var/run/sshd.pid file
      > that should have been created. Any ideas? Is this important?

      It's not important, IMHO.

      > I was
      > able to verify that sftp now worked! Okay, now my question is when I
      > am outside of my home network, and want to get in, what is the
      > significance of this new Port 22222?

      It's an unprivileged (user assigned) port, so you can run two different services of the same
      kind at at time. SSH's standard port is 22. Such things are specified in /etc/services.

      > I set up a forward on my router
      > from this port to the ip address of my buffalo. However, when I turn
      > off port 22 (what dropbear was using, I imagine), I cannot get in
      > via sftp anymore. It errors out, as it expects Port 22.

      Nope. I bet dropbear isn't compiled with SSH support, you're experiencing some kind of
      fallback mechanism to SCP (in WinSCP, you need to change the defaults to use SFTP at all).
      You need to open/forward port 115 on your router as well, else your're problably using
      dropbear scp on port 22 -- if it's running.

      > Is there
      > something I need to do to tell sftp to use this port? Or do I now
      > disable dropbear and use port 22 for that? Thanks again, for all
      > your help for this newbie! :-)

      I guess it's clearer now. You could choose to use port 22 in sshd_config and 22222
      (actually, anything above 1024) for dropbear, or disable dropbear altogether. WARNING,
      make sure you don't lock yourself out. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about ;(

      Take care, glad you made it,

      -Andre
    • john_p_daniels
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 30, 2005

        > > Hi. I am a newbie to this all. I am trying to mount my
        Buffalo "Share"
        > > folder to a windows xp explorer drive-letter. I use gotdns.com
        > > forward my cable-modem's ip address, then use my linksys
        router's port
        > > forwarding to send stuff to the local ip address of my buffalo
        > > linkstation I. I am able to scp & ssh from outside of my
        netowork into
        > > my buffalo (via port 22). So far have not gotten sftp to work. I
        am
        > > using the openlink & openssh from the linkstationwiki folks.
        Does
        > > anybody have any suggestions how I can do this? I have tried
        > > \\IP_ADDRESS\share, entered my login & password, but it comes
        back as
        > > failed.
        >
        > sftp is an ssh subsystem on port 115, you can enable it in your
        sshd_config (add a line
        > "Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server" w/o the quotes, then
        restart your ssh that's
        > hopefully compiled with sftp support). It has absolutely nothing
        to do with Windows shares
        > and "\\IP_ADDRESS\share" syntax, but you can use it with GUI
        like the excellent WinSCP/
        > Putty combo. WinSCP looks much like WinFTP, if you have ever used
        it.

        > You might connect to Windows shares via an SSH tunnel; the GUIs
        mentioned could do this
        > for you.
        >
        > Windows shares themselves dwell on the NetBIOS ports, roughly
        speaking, 135, 137-179,
        > 445 (see <http://ntsecurity.nu/papers/port445/> for details).
        Drive letters can be
        > assigned with "net use" on the Windows system (see
        <http://www.microsoft.com/
        > resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
        us/net_use.mspx>).

        > -Andre

        Hi Adre! Thanks again for all the help getting sftp/scp/ssh working
        via openssh on port 22 of my linstation 250! I still have dropbear
        working on that port 22222, and ssh/sftp on port 22. Now I am going
        back to my original question! I was looking at this winscp program,
        and it seems pretty cool. However, while at work (or on the road),
        what I would like to do is have access (read/write/modify) to a
        files on my linkstation at home. For instance, could I play MP3s
        streamed from my linkstation while on the road? Or can I open my
        quicken financial database on the road? I don't want to copy the file
        (s) over, modify them, then copy them back (for my quicken example),
        I'd like to work w/ them interactively. I thought of using windows
        share folders for this, but I am having problems like mentioned
        above. I also poked around w/ the winscp, and don't see such a
        capability. Would you (or anyone else) have any suggestions? I first
        want to look at doing it non-securly (ie. no VPN), then if I get
        that working, look at a more secure option. I use gotdns.org to map
        my ip address to my local router, then use port forwarding on my
        router to get to the buffalo. This is how I have been doing
        ssh/sftp. But when I try to map a network drive, I enter:
        \\URL.com\share ('share' is the name that I use on my buffalo, the
        default share directory) and my login name/password, but it times
        out. Any suggestions??!! Thanks!!
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 30, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "john_p_daniels" <john_p_daniels@y...>
          wrote:

          [...]
          > > Windows shares themselves dwell on the NetBIOS ports, roughly
          > speaking, 135, 137-179, 445 (see <http://ntsecurity.nu/papers/port445/> for details).

          Ouch, typo: not 137-179,445 but 137-139,445

          > Drive letters can be
          > > assigned with "net use" on the Windows system (see
          > <http://www.microsoft.com/
          > > resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
          > us/net_use.mspx>).
          [...]

          > while at work (or on the road),
          > what I would like to do is have access (read/write/modify) to a
          > files on my linkstation at home. For instance, could I play MP3s
          > streamed from my linkstation while on the road?

          You need stremaing software for that, like mt-daapd. Or mount your shares remotely,
          then tell your player to use them as its data source.

          > Or can I open my
          > quicken financial database on the road? I don't want to copy the file
          > (s) over, modify them, then copy them back (for my quicken example),
          > I'd like to work w/ them interactively. I thought of using windows
          > share folders for this, but I am having problems like mentioned
          > above.

          Make sure your shares are password protected. Open the NETBIOS ports mentioned above
          on your router, forward them ("NAT").

          > I also poked around w/ the winscp, and don't see such a
          > capability.

          Correct.

          > Would you (or anyone else) have any suggestions? I first
          > want to look at doing it non-securly (ie. no VPN), then if I get
          > that working, look at a more secure option.

          You could use an SSH tunnel once you got it going. Here's an example from my notes on
          how to create an SSH tunnel for a different service, VNC (port 5901). Add a grain of salt,
          and don't forget NAT of the ports you're using:

          <quote>If you want more security, because you will be working over the public
          internet, you can avoid opening up port 5901 in your firewall and/or
          router, and instead use ssh (port 22). Then from your Solaris system,
          use ssh and specify a tunnel for port 5901 that will then allow your
          Solaris VNC client to use the secure ssh tunnel.

          ssh -f -C -N -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901 username@...
          for the forwarding host you need to use the internal

          If you use the external IP then SSH tries to talk to your firewall.

          ssh 151.199.60.120 -l username -C -L 5902:192.168.1.100:5901
          </quote>

          > I use gotdns.org to map
          > my ip address to my local router, then use port forwarding on my
          > router to get to the buffalo.

          What ports? See the NETBIOS notes above

          > This is how I have been doing
          > ssh/sftp. But when I try to map a network drive, I enter:
          > \\URL.com\share ('share' is the name that I use on my buffalo, the
          > default share directory) and my login name/password, but it times
          > out. Any suggestions??!! Thanks!!

          You might need to add the workgroup to your \\ thing; but I'm only an occasional
          windows user :) The URLs mentioned earlier should prove helpful.

          -Andre