RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Slow data transfer rates to linkstation

  • Neil Catley
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005

      Is it def a USB2 drive ?

      From: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com [mailto: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of jackcu1961
      Sent: 25 October 2005 15:41
      To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Slow data transfer rates to linkstation

      I'm having the same problem. I'm copying over my mp3 files from a USB
      drive plugged into the Linkstation's rear USB port. So far I have been
      copying for about 3 days! I'm not sure of the throughput speed, but it
      is extremely slow.

      Any idea why it should be so slow when there is a physical connection
      between the 2 devices?

      Cheers,

      Jack.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com , Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
      wrote:

      > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
      > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
      > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
      > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
      > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
      >
      > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
      >
      >       --Marc

    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
        Try running two different treads at the same time.
        Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
        Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
        When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
        nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it yet.
        Rich
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Catley"
        <n.catley@b...> wrote:

        > Is it def a USB2 drive ?
        >

        > _____

        cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+n
        > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
        >
        > Buffalo

        d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+networking
        > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
        >
        > Wireless

        1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicat
        > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
        communication and
        > networking
        >

        > _____
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

        > _____

      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
          <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

          > Try running two different treads at the same time.
          > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
          > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
          > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
          > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it
          yet.

          We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
          http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131

          I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
          static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
          stayed with dhcp.

          Best,
          h.
        • jackcu1961
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 27, 2005
            To answer the earlier question - yes, it's a new USB2 device. I have
            the Linkstation set to a static address - I'll try it using DHCP and
            see if it improves the situation.

            Thanks,

            Jack.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
            <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
            > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Try running two different treads at the same time.
            > > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
            > > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
            > > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to
            almost
            > > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed
            it
            > yet.
            >
            > We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
            > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
            action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131

            > I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
            > static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
            > stayed with dhcp.
            >
            > Best,
            > h.

          • schpapsch
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
              Jack,

              Did switching to DHCP make any difference for you? I am happy with
              my LS with the exception of the horrible transfer rates. Took me 22
              hours to transfer 23gb of date at 100-based T. That's far worse than
              10-based T.

              Anyone else have any success tweaking the performance of this thing?

              Jeremy

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"