Re: [LinkStation_General] Slow data transfer rates to linkstation

  • Marc Bizer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24 7:38 PM
      On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
      >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
      >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
      >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
      >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.

      See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.

      --Marc
    • jackcu1961
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25 7:40 AM
        I'm having the same problem. I'm copying over my mp3 files from a USB
        drive plugged into the Linkstation's rear USB port. So far I have been
        copying for about 3 days! I'm not sure of the throughput speed, but it
        is extremely slow.

        Any idea why it should be so slow when there is a physical connection
        between the 2 devices?

        Cheers,

        Jack.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
        wrote:

        > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
        > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
        > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
        > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
        > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
        >
        > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
        >
        > --Marc

      • Neil Catley
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25 10:08 AM

          Is it def a USB2 drive ?

          wrote:

          > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
          > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
          > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
          > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
          > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
          >
          > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
          >
          >       --Marc

        • irvine_stock
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25 9:26 PM
            Try running two different treads at the same time.
            Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
            Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
            When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
            nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it yet.
            Rich
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Catley"
            <n.catley@b...> wrote:

            > Is it def a USB2 drive ?
            >

            > _____

            cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+n
            > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
            >
            > Buffalo

            d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+networking
            > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
            >
            > Wireless

            1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicat
            > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
            communication and
            > networking
            >

            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

            > _____

          • haberschnasel
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 26 12:10 PM
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
              <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

              > Try running two different treads at the same time.
              > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
              > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
              > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
              > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it
              yet.

              We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
              http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131

              I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
              static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
              stayed with dhcp.

              Best,
              h.
            • jackcu1961
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 27 3:01 AM
                To answer the earlier question - yes, it's a new USB2 device. I have
                the Linkstation set to a static address - I'll try it using DHCP and
                see if it improves the situation.

                Thanks,

                Jack.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Try running two different treads at the same time.
                > > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
                > > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
                > > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to
                almost
                > > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed
                it
                > yet.
                >
                > We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
                > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131

                > I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
                > static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
                > stayed with dhcp.
                >
                > Best,
                > h.

              • schpapsch
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Jack,

                  Did switching to DHCP make any difference for you? I am happy with
                  my LS with the exception of the horrible transfer rates. Took me 22
                  hours to transfer 23gb of date at 100-based T. That's far worse than
                  10-based T.

                  Anyone else have any success tweaking the performance of this thing?

                  Jeremy

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"