Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Slow data transfer rates to linkstation

Expand Messages
  • Nabil Hachem
    I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great... until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP and have a 54Mbit wireless
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2005
    • 0 Attachment

       

       

      I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great... until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec. I tried fyp and I found thatas soon as I connected it reports a 7000KB/sec transfer rate and then after all transfer look like 10k/sec or slower.

      Anyone had similar performance problems?

       

      Any hints or suggestion are appreciated. I am going to test it with a crossover cable and see what I can get out of it.... else I will have to return it... L

       

      Thanks,

      Nabil

       

       

    • Marc Bizer
      ... See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT. --Marc
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 24, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
        >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
        >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
        >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
        >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.

        See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.

        --Marc
      • jackcu1961
        I m having the same problem. I m copying over my mp3 files from a USB drive plugged into the Linkstation s rear USB port. So far I have been copying for about
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          I'm having the same problem. I'm copying over my mp3 files from a USB
          drive plugged into the Linkstation's rear USB port. So far I have been
          copying for about 3 days! I'm not sure of the throughput speed, but it
          is extremely slow.

          Any idea why it should be so slow when there is a physical connection
          between the 2 devices?

          Cheers,

          Jack.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
          wrote:
          >
          > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
          > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
          > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
          > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
          > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
          >
          > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
          >
          > --Marc
          >
        • Neil Catley
          Is it def a USB2 drive ? _____ From: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com [mailto:LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jackcu1961 Sent: 25 October
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
          • 0 Attachment

            Is it def a USB2 drive ?

             


            From: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com [mailto: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of jackcu1961
            Sent: 25 October 2005 15:41
            To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Slow data transfer rates to linkstation

             

            I'm having the same problem. I'm copying over my mp3 files from a USB
            drive plugged into the Linkstation's rear USB port. So far I have been
            copying for about 3 days! I'm not sure of the throughput speed, but it
            is extremely slow.

            Any idea why it should be so slow when there is a physical connection
            between the 2 devices?

            Cheers,

            Jack.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com , Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
            wrote:
            >
            > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
            > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
            > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
            > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
            > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
            >
            > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
            >
            >       --Marc
            >





          • irvine_stock
            Try running two different treads at the same time. Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine. Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Try running two different treads at the same time.
              Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
              Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
              When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
              nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it yet.
              Rich
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Catley"
              <n.catley@b...> wrote:
              >
              > Is it def a USB2 drive ?
              >
              >
              >
              > _____
              >
              > From: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
              > [mailto:LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jackcu1961
              > Sent: 25 October 2005 15:41
              > To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Slow data transfer rates to
              linkstation
              >
              >
              >
              > I'm having the same problem. I'm copying over my mp3 files from a USB
              > drive plugged into the Linkstation's rear USB port. So far I have been
              > copying for about 3 days! I'm not sure of the throughput speed, but it
              > is extremely slow.
              >
              > Any idea why it should be so slow when there is a physical connection
              > between the 2 devices?
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Jack.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
              > > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
              > > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
              > > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
              > > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
              > >
              > > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
              > >
              > > --Marc
              > >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > SPONSORED LINKS
              >
              >
              > Communication
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communi
              >
              cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+n
              > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
              >
              > Buffalo
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Communication+an
              >
              d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+networking
              > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
              >
              > Wireless
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w
              >
              1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicat
              > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
              communication and
              > networking
              >
              >
              >
              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              >
              >
              > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.
              >
              > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              > LinkStation_General-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              <mailto:LinkStation_General-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
              >
              >
              > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Service.
              >
              >
              >
              > _____
              >
            • haberschnasel
              ... yet. We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131 I experienced
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
                >
                > Try running two different treads at the same time.
                > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
                > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
                > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
                > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it
                yet.

                We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
                http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131

                I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
                static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
                stayed with dhcp.

                Best,
                h.
              • jackcu1961
                To answer the earlier question - yes, it s a new USB2 device. I have the Linkstation set to a static address - I ll try it using DHCP and see if it improves
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 27, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  To answer the earlier question - yes, it's a new USB2 device. I have
                  the Linkstation set to a static address - I'll try it using DHCP and
                  see if it improves the situation.

                  Thanks,

                  Jack.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                  <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                  > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Try running two different treads at the same time.
                  > > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
                  > > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
                  > > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to
                  almost
                  > > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed
                  it
                  > yet.
                  >
                  > We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
                  > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                  action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131
                  >
                  > I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
                  > static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
                  > stayed with dhcp.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > h.
                  >
                • schpapsch
                  Jack, Did switching to DHCP make any difference for you? I am happy with my LS with the exception of the horrible transfer rates. Took me 22 hours to
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Jack,

                    Did switching to DHCP make any difference for you? I am happy with
                    my LS with the exception of the horrible transfer rates. Took me 22
                    hours to transfer 23gb of date at 100-based T. That's far worse than
                    10-based T.

                    Anyone else have any success tweaking the performance of this thing?

                    Jeremy

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"
                    <jackcu1961@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > To answer the earlier question - yes, it's a new USB2 device. I
                    have
                    > the Linkstation set to a static address - I'll try it using DHCP
                    and
                    > see if it improves the situation.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jack.
                    >
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                    > <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                    > > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Try running two different treads at the same time.
                    > > > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
                    > > > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
                    > > > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to
                    > almost
                    > > > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not
                    fixed
                    > it
                    > > yet.
                    > >
                    > > We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
                    > > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                    > action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131
                    > >
                    > > I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
                    > > static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens.
                    So I
                    > > stayed with dhcp.
                    > >
                    > > Best,
                    > > h.
                    > >
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.