Slow data transfer rates to linkstation

  • Nabil Hachem
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2005

      I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great... until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec. I tried fyp and I found thatas soon as I connected it reports a 7000KB/sec transfer rate and then after all transfer look like 10k/sec or slower.

      Anyone had similar performance problems?

      Any hints or suggestion are appreciated. I am going to test it with a crossover cable and see what I can get out of it.... else I will have to return it... L

      Thanks,

      Nabil

    • Marc Bizer
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 24, 2005
        On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
        >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
        >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
        >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
        >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.

        See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.

        --Marc
      • jackcu1961
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
          I'm having the same problem. I'm copying over my mp3 files from a USB
          drive plugged into the Linkstation's rear USB port. So far I have been
          copying for about 3 days! I'm not sure of the throughput speed, but it
          is extremely slow.

          Any idea why it should be so slow when there is a physical connection
          between the 2 devices?

          Cheers,

          Jack.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
          wrote:

          > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
          > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
          > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
          > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
          > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
          >
          > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
          >
          > --Marc

        • Neil Catley
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005

            Is it def a USB2 drive ?

            wrote:

            > On 10/24/05 at 10:36 PM -0400, Nabil Hachem wrote:
            > >I just acquired a linkstation HD-HD250LAN and it looked great...
            > >until I tried to send it large mp3 files. I am running windows XP
            > >and have a 54Mbit wireless network. I assume dthat t hetransfer rate
            > >should be at least a few Mbytes/sec, but I barely get 10k/sec.
            >
            > See what kind of throughput you get over 100BaseT.
            >
            >       --Marc

          • irvine_stock
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
              Try running two different treads at the same time.
              Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
              Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
              When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
              nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it yet.
              Rich
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Catley"
              <n.catley@b...> wrote:

              > Is it def a USB2 drive ?
              >

              > _____

              cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+n
              > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
              >
              > Buffalo

              d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+networking
              > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
              >
              > Wireless

              1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicat
              > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
              communication and
              > networking
              >

              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

              > _____

            • haberschnasel
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

                > Try running two different treads at the same time.
                > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
                > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
                > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to almost
                > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed it
                yet.

                We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
                http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131

                I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
                static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
                stayed with dhcp.

                Best,
                h.
              • jackcu1961
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 27, 2005
                  To answer the earlier question - yes, it's a new USB2 device. I have
                  the Linkstation set to a static address - I'll try it using DHCP and
                  see if it improves the situation.

                  Thanks,

                  Jack.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                  <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                  > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Try running two different treads at the same time.
                  > > Like two copies of different data from the same XP machine.
                  > > Mine goes from very slow to very fast. ~7Mb with two threads.
                  > > When the two treads drops back to 1 the data rate goes back to
                  almost
                  > > nothing. Seems like a IP lookup problem to me but have not fixed
                  it
                  > yet.
                  >
                  > We had some network performance discussion on the Wiki
                  > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                  action=vthread&forum=4&topic=131

                  > I experienced periodic drops in performance when setting my LS to
                  > static IP. When I use dhcp (from my router), it never happens. So I
                  > stayed with dhcp.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > h.

                • schpapsch
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
                    Jack,

                    Did switching to DHCP make any difference for you? I am happy with
                    my LS with the exception of the horrible transfer rates. Took me 22
                    hours to transfer 23gb of date at 100-based T. That's far worse than
                    10-based T.

                    Anyone else have any success tweaking the performance of this thing?

                    Jeremy

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"