problems contacting ntp server

  • Marc Bizer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
      Hi,

      For reasons that escape me completely, since Sept. 25,
      linkstation.log shows that my Linkstation v.1 (PPC) has been unable
      to contact the specified ntp server. I've tried other IP addresses to
      no avail. I haven't tinkered with my LS in a long time, but I seem to
      remember that getting it to accept an ntp address wasn't easy.

      I'm behind a router, but I'm pretty sure that the router is
      allowing the connection, and I tried port forwarding on port 23 to
      the LS without improvement.

      Any ideas?

      --Marc
    • lb_worm
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > For reasons that escape me completely, since Sept. 25,
        > linkstation.log shows that my Linkstation v.1 (PPC) has been unable
        > to contact the specified ntp server. I've tried other IP addresses to
        > no avail. I haven't tinkered with my LS in a long time, but I seem to
        > remember that getting it to accept an ntp address wasn't easy.
        >
        > I'm behind a router, but I'm pretty sure that the router is
        > allowing the connection, and I tried port forwarding on port 23 to
        > the LS without improvement.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > --Marc

        What IPs have you been trying? You must note that most ntp servers are
        not 'public domain' servers (FREE) and you may find that what had
        worked before maynot do any longer.
      • Marc Bizer
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
          >What IPs have you been trying? You must note that most ntp servers are
          >not 'public domain' servers (FREE) and you may find that what had
          >worked before maynot do any longer.

          I tried the nist.gov one specified in the manual, but also my
          university's ntp server which works fine with my computer.

          If someone can give the address of a public domain server guaranteed
          to work, I'd be happy to try it. :-)

          --Marc
        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...> wrote:

            > >What IPs have you been trying? You must note that most ntp servers are
            > >not 'public domain' servers (FREE) and you may find that what had
            > >worked before maynot do any longer.
            >
            > I tried the nist.gov one specified in the manual, but also my
            > university's ntp server which works fine with my computer.
            >
            > If someone can give the address of a public domain server guaranteed
            > to work, I'd be happy to try it. :-)

            $ host time.apple.com
            time.apple.com has address 17.254.0.26
            time.apple.com has address 17.254.0.27
            time.apple.com has address 17.254.0.28
            time.apple.com has address 17.254.0.31

            Use one of the the IP addresses...

            -Andre
          • Marc Bizer
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
              On 10/23/05 at 4:53 PM +0000, lalunas10 wrote:
              >time.apple.com has address 17.254.0.28

              I tried this one, and it failed! I've even made sure to enable port
              forwarding on my router, forwarding udp port 123 to my LS's fixed IP
              address.

              What else could be wrong?

              --Marc
            • pcplob
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
                wrote:
                > I tried the nist.gov one specified in the manual, but also my
                > university's ntp server which works fine with my computer.
                >
                > If someone can give the address of a public domain server guaranteed
                > to work, I'd be happy to try it. :-)
                >
                > --Marc

                time.nist.gov (192.43.244.18) is working ok for me - can you ping the
                addresses you're trying ok? Also, check whether the nameserver
                settings in /etc/resolv.conf are still reachable (assuming you have
                telnet access on your LS).

                ~Plob~
              • Marc Bizer
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
                  On 10/23/05 at 9:52 PM +0000, pcplob wrote:
                  >time.nist.gov (192.43.244.18) is working ok for me - can you ping the
                  >addresses you're trying ok? Also, check whether the nameserver
                  >settings in /etc/resolv.conf are still reachable (assuming you have
                  >telnet access on your LS).

                  As I wrote in a previous post, the problem was that if one's LS is
                  behind a firewall, you have to specify the gateway for ntp lookups to
                  work.

                  --Marc
                • pcplob
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
                    wrote:

                    > On 10/23/05 at 9:52 PM +0000, pcplob wrote:
                    > >time.nist.gov (192.43.244.18) is working ok for me - can you ping the
                    > >addresses you're trying ok? Also, check whether the nameserver
                    > >settings in /etc/resolv.conf are still reachable (assuming you have
                    > >telnet access on your LS).
                    >
                    > As I wrote in a previous post, the problem was that if one's LS is
                    > behind a firewall, you have to specify the gateway for ntp lookups to
                    > work.
                    >
                    > --Marc

                    Yup - for some reason your last message didn't show up as I was going
                    through the message threads. Anyway, glad you got it sorted :) ~Plob~