SlimServer on HD-HG250LAN - Squeezbox "Can't open file"

  • ultrachrome
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2005
      Problem: Squeezbox2/Softsqueeze player reports error "Problem: Can't
      open file: [song title]"

      I followed Marc Field's tutorial as closely as possible. Highlights
      include:
      - flashed with hg-openlink-051b
      - enable SSH, removed telnet
      - installed perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz
      - installed SlimServer_v6.1.1.tar.gz
      - slimserver manually started under root account

      Before flashing I had copied my iTunes Music folder to /mnt/music
      (created before flashing and with no security). Slimserver scanned the
      folder correctly and shows all my albums. I can browse
      artist/album/song from the slimserver UI or player. Songs just won't play.

      Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.
    • luos_3m
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ultrachrome"
        <brian.wills@g...> wrote:

        > Problem: Squeezbox2/Softsqueeze player reports error "Problem:
        Can't
        > open file: [song title]"
        >
        > I followed Marc Field's tutorial as closely as possible. Highlights
        > include:
        > - flashed with hg-openlink-051b
        > - enable SSH, removed telnet
        > - installed perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz
        > - installed SlimServer_v6.1.1.tar.gz
        > - slimserver manually started under root account
        >
        > Before flashing I had copied my iTunes Music folder to /mnt/music
        > (created before flashing and with no security). Slimserver scanned
        the
        > folder correctly and shows all my albums. I can browse
        > artist/album/song from the slimserver UI or player. Songs just
        won't play.

        > Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

        Hi,

        Although I am not able you provide help to your problem yet, it does
        seem that you succeeded in getting openlink on a HG250? Did you have
        any problems with that? I'm just reading a lot of people bricking
        their HG box, incompatibility between Europe and US versions and so
        on, the darned 6 red blips diag-led problem etc. and I just don't
        want to get into that mess.
        Any guidance on what and how you pursued a succesfull upgrade to
        openlink? I have a HG300LAN with original software (1.34)

        If you don't want to use this thread for it, please email at
        lucien.van.os@...

        Thanks!

        Lucien
      • ultrachrome
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2005
          Unfortunately I don't know that I can provide much information as I
          clearly didn't proceed with as much caution as I should have.

          My first flash attempt failed but I was trying to do it over wifi but
          I was able to restore the original firmware succesfully. I tried it
          using the Japanese and English (from Buffalo) versions of the flash
          utility, the former being included in the hg-openlink-051b package.

          The final (third, I believe) and successful attempt was with the
          laptop connected to my router next to the HG. However, I don't
          remember which flash utility I used.

          I didn't really do anything clever to make it work.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "luos_3m"