Time - here's what I think happens

  • Iain Stevenson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2004
      Further to my previous time related post ...

      If you are using external time synchronisation, the LinkStation will go
      looking for the time using the script /etc/cron.d/ntpdate. That will fail
      unless the file /etc/timezone exists. I'm in GMT and a simple "touch
      /etc/timezone" to create a blank file was all I needed to get the ntpdate
      script working.

      Why is setting time so hard on Linux/Unix systems?

      Iain
    • mbizer@mail.utexas.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2004
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...> wrote:
        > If you are using external time synchronisation, the LinkStation will go
        > looking for the time using the script /etc/cron.d/ntpdate. That will fail
        > unless the file /etc/timezone exists. I'm in GMT and a simple "touch
        > /etc/timezone" to create a blank file was all I needed to get the ntpdate
        > script working.

        I'm in GMT-6, and I'm finding that creating this file makes no difference. Any other
        suggestions?