Telnet access and Firmware 2.05

  • jackcu1961
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 21, 2005
      I have bought a 120Gb Linkstation with the intention of running Twonky
      as a music server. I've read through most of the stuff here and it
      looks good. However, I can't gain telnet access to start going through
      the step-by-step instructions. It seems from what has been written that
      I need to install an older version of the firmware. However, when I try
      to do this, I get a message along the lines of "error - no Linkstation
      found on network". The LS is there, can be seen and can be written to,
      so I'm not sure what the problem is.

      Could anyone suggest either how I gain telnet access with 2.05 or how I
      install one of the older versions?

      Many thanks,

      J.
    • Bettley-Smith Mark (Madeira Medical Cent
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 21, 2005

        Hi have sorted this I’m Linux newbie. Follow instructions to install Openlink firmware from linkstationwiki. This gives you root telnet access to linkstation be careful you use correct version . likely you have MIPS linkstation. Once done the Twonky documentation download talks through install although the command set needs some tweaking

        Mark

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 21, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 21, 2005
            Many thanks Mark,

            I've installed the Openlink firmware and now have access :) Next
            problem - I know nothing about Linux and am struggling. I need to
            copy some files to various places as outlined in the help files. I
            have created the subdirectories and can navigate up and down and
            list the contents. However, how do I copy the files from my PC to
            the Linkstation. I can understand the cp command, but what is the
            syntax for the source when it's on a different box? I was hoping I
            could find the default share on the LS thought the telnet interface.
            I can navigate to a "share" subdirectory, but it doesn't have the
            same files as the "share" subdirectory when viewed over the network.

            I know this must sound stupid but at least I've taken the first step.

            My apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I've searched and
            can't find it.

            Cheers,

            J.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bettley_smith"
            <mark.bettley-smith@d...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"
            > <jackcu1961@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have bought a 120Gb Linkstation with the intention of running
            > Twonky
            > > as a music server. I've read through most of the stuff here and
            it
            > > looks good. However, I can't gain telnet access to start going
            > through
            > > the step-by-step instructions. It seems from what has been
            written
            > that
            > > I need to install an older version of the firmware. However,
            when
            > I try
            > > to do this, I get a message along the lines of "error - no
            > Linkstation
            > > found on network". The LS is there, can be seen and can be
            written
            > to,
            > > so I'm not sure what the problem is.
            > >
            > > Could anyone suggest either how I gain telnet access with 2.05
            or
            > how I
            > > install one of the older versions?
            > >
            > > Many thanks,
            > >
            > > J.
            > >
            > Hi have sorted this I'm Linux newbie. Follow instructions to
            install
            > Openlink firmware from linkstationwiki. This gives you root telnet
            > access to linkstation be careful you use correct version . likely
            > you have MIPS linkstation. Once done the Twonky documentation
            > download talks through install although the command set needs some
            > tweaking
            >

            > Mark

          • gouldyis
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 21, 2005
              <jackcu1961@y...> wrote:

              > Many thanks Mark,
              >
              > I've installed the Openlink firmware and now have access :) Next
              > problem - I know nothing about Linux and am struggling. I need to
              > copy some files to various places as outlined in the help files. I
              > have created the subdirectories and can navigate up and down and
              > list the contents. However, how do I copy the files from my PC to
              > the Linkstation. I can understand the cp command, but what is the
              > syntax for the source when it's on a different box? I was hoping I
              > could find the default share on the LS thought the telnet
              interface.
              > I can navigate to a "share" subdirectory, but it doesn't have the
              > same files as the "share" subdirectory when viewed over the
              network.

              > I know this must sound stupid but at least I've taken the first
              step.

              > My apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I've searched and
              > can't find it.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > J.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bettley_smith"
              > <mark.bettley-smith@d...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"
              > > <jackcu1961@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have bought a 120Gb Linkstation with the intention of
              running
              > > Twonky
              > > > as a music server. I've read through most of the stuff here
              and
              > it
              > > > looks good. However, I can't gain telnet access to start going
              > > through
              > > > the step-by-step instructions. It seems from what has been
              > written
              > > that
              > > > I need to install an older version of the firmware. However,
              > when
              > > I try
              > > > to do this, I get a message along the lines of "error - no
              > > Linkstation
              > > > found on network". The LS is there, can be seen and can be
              > written
              > > to,
              > > > so I'm not sure what the problem is.
              > > >
              > > > Could anyone suggest either how I gain telnet access with 2.05
              > or
              > > how I
              > > > install one of the older versions?
              > > >
              > > > Many thanks,
              > > >
              > > > J.
              > > >
              > > Hi have sorted this I'm Linux newbie. Follow instructions to
              > install
              > > Openlink firmware from linkstationwiki. This gives you root
              telnet
              > > access to linkstation be careful you use correct version .
              likely
              > > you have MIPS linkstation. Once done the Twonky documentation
              > > download talks through install although the command set needs
              some
              > > tweaking
              > >

              > > Mark
              > >
              >Are you trying to do twonky you say?

              The share through telnet you'll see if you do:> cd /mnt/hda/share
              You need to put the twonky script and mediaserver in your network
              share folder and then copy them to correct places.
              So :> cp /mnt/hda/share/twonky /etc/init.d/twonky

              That puts the script where it should be

              cp /mnt/hda/share/mediaserver /mnt/media/Server

              That puts the actual mediaserver where the script looks for it.
              Be careful to use the correct twonkyvision mediaserver, in 2.8
              download the MIPS version is in the mipsel_333_23 folder under
              embedded.

              You should be able to just follow the help file from then
            • jackcu1961
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 21, 2005
                Thank you, thank you, my friend :)

                I've got the server up and running now :)

                All I need is for it to find some of my songs LOL

                I'll let you know how I get on.

                I really appreciate your help!

                Cheers,

                J.
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
                  OK, So I've got the server running but I can't find a way to make it
                  look at the music directories.

                  I'll keep poking around but if anyone can tell me how to point it at
                  my music, I'd appreciate it :)

                  Cheers,

                  Jack.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
                    In the spirit of trying to answer my own questions LOL, and based on
                    the advice I received earlier that my "share" on the network
                    is "/mnt/hda/share" when viewed over Telnet, I have entered the
                    following line in the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini file

                    contentdir=/mnt/hda/share/Albums

                    However, when I startup my MP101 is refuses to get past the startup
                    screen. It worked last night when Twonky was running but with no
                    music files.

                    Looks like my attempt to point it at the files has stopped it
                    running.

                    Any suggestions?

                    Many thanks,

                    Jack.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
                      I'm not sure this problem is connected at all. I've shut down the
                      server and the MP101 won't get past the "loading please wait"
                      screen. It doesn't look for the network, doesn't look for the server.

                      Pile of c@@p - but I knew that already.

                      Time for another player?

                      Thanks for the help so far :)

                      J.

                      <jackcu1961@y...> wrote:

                      > In the spirit of trying to answer my own questions LOL, and based
                      on
                      > the advice I received earlier that my "share" on the network
                      > is "/mnt/hda/share" when viewed over Telnet, I have entered the
                      > following line in the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini file
                      >
                      > contentdir=/mnt/hda/share/Albums
                      >
                      > However, when I startup my MP101 is refuses to get past the
                      startup
                      > screen. It worked last night when Twonky was running but with no
                      > music files.
                      >
                      > Looks like my attempt to point it at the files has stopped it
                      > running.
                      >
                      > Any suggestions?
                      >
                      > Many thanks,
                      >
                      > Jack.
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"
                      > <jackcu1961@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > OK, So I've got the server running but I can't find a way to
                      make
                      > it
                      > > look at the music directories.
                      > >
                      > > I'll keep poking around but if anyone can tell me how to point
                      it
                      > at
                      > > my music, I'd appreciate it :)
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > >
                      > > Jack.
                      > >
                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackcu1961"
                      > > <jackcu1961@y...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you, thank you, my friend :)
                      > > >
                      > > > I've got the server up and running now :)
                      > > >
                      > > > All I need is for it to find some of my songs LOL
                      > > >
                      > > > I'll let you know how I get on.
                      > > >
                      > > > I really appreciate your help!
                      > > >
                      > > > Cheers,
                      > > >
                      > > > J.
                      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"

                      > > Next
                      > need
                      > > files.
                      > > and
                      > PC
                      > is
                      > > > the
                      > > hoping
                      > have
                      > > > the

                      > > first

                      > > and

                      LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bettley_smith"

                      > > here
                      > > > going
                      > been
                      > > However,

                      > no
                      > be

                      > with
                      > > > 2.05

                      > root
                      > > documentation
                      > > needs

                      > cd /mnt/hda/share
                      > > network

                    • Neil Catley
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005

                        Get yourself a squeezebox2. I started with a mp101 and soon realised how bad they are !

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Catley"
                          <n.catley@b...> wrote:

                          > Get yourself a squeezebox2. I started with a mp101 and soon
                          realised how bad
                          > they are !
                          >

                          > _____

                          t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communi

                          cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicatio
                          n+and+n
                          > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
                          >
                          > Buffalo
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Communication+an

                          d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+net
                          working
                          > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
                          >
                          > Wireless
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w

                          1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+com
                          municat
                          > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
                          communication and
                          > networking
                          >

                          > _____
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >

                          > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                          > _____

                          Squeezebox2,hmmmm nice - Roku Soundbridge for me, but that doesn't
                          help our old chaps problem now does it!!!

                          I am not sure if it's a problem with your player. You say you
                          entered /mnt/hda..... into the .ini file. Have you got access to
                          twonky via the web browser ? http://"yourplayersaddress":9000 . If I
                          remember you will get a red screen saying you cant access it, this
                          may have something to do with your player not being able to access
                          it if you have'nt fixed it...:> vi /mnt/hda/media/Server

                          enableweb=2

                          Are you sure twonky is starting up if you rebooted the LS?

                          Have you put a grotesque amount of music in the share ( it may take
                          some time for twonky to relay this to your player ) it does mine.

                          Doesnt look for the network? or server?

                          What happened when you originally got twonky working? Did player see
                          twonky then?

                          All info will help resolve situation, but yeah... get something
                          better, Roku SoundBridge.....
                        • gouldyis
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
                            <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Catley"
                            > <n.catley@b...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Get yourself a squeezebox2. I started with a mp101 and soon
                            > realised how bad
                            > > they are !
                            > >

                            > > _____

                            (Sunday,I'm pissed)

                            > enableweb=2
                            >

                            > Are you sure twonky is starting up if you rebooted the LS?
                            >
                            > Have you put a grotesque amount of music in the share ( it may
                            take
                            > some time for twonky to relay this to your player ) it does mine.
                            >
                            > Doesnt look for the network? or server?
                            >
                            > What happened when you originally got twonky working? Did player
                            see
                            > twonky then?
                            >
                            > All info will help resolve situation, but yeah... get something
                            > better, Roku SoundBridge.....

                          • gouldyis
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
                              <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
                              > <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Catley"
                              > > <n.catley@b...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Get yourself a squeezebox2. I started with a mp101 and soon
                              > > realised how bad
                              > > > they are !
                              > > >

                              > > > _____

                            • jackcu1961
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
                                Many thanks for all the help guys :)

                                I checked out a few MP101 boards and this problem crops up a few
                                times. Seems its a fault and can't be fixed. Also, the general traffic
                                on those boards is that the unit is just rubbish (which I already knew
                                LOL).

                                So I went out and bought a Streamium SL50i this morning and all is
                                well :) The Linkstation is running Twonky and has found the music. The
                                Streamium plays the music. I'm a happy bunny.

                                All I need to do is set-up the script that will run Twonky when I
                                reboot the box (I started it manually) and I'm good to go.

                                I really appreciate the assistance - I'd never have worked any of that
                                out without you.

                                Cheers,

                                Jack.