Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Set time on LinkStation

Expand Messages
  • Iain Stevenson
    --On Wednesday, December 1, 2004 8:38 pm +0000 James S Stubbs ... Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should synchronise) its RTC and the
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      --On Wednesday, December 1, 2004 8:38 pm +0000 James S Stubbs
      <stubbsjuk@...> wrote:

      >
      > irvine_stock wrote:
      >
      >>
      >> Hi Dan,
      >> Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
      >> still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
      >> V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
      >> right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
      >> find out why it matters.
      >> Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
      >> I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
      >> Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
      >> the how to section. :-)
      >>
      >> Rich
      >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
      >> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
      >> > I created one putting in exactly one line:
      >> > "timezone=-7"
      >> >
      >> >
      >> > (without the quotes)
      >> > Is that what you meant?
      >> >
      >> > ... Dan
      >> > PS i live in Arizona.
      >> >
      >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
      >> > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
      >> > >
      >> > > I remember the fix of the NTP.
      >> > > My clock was always off by hours a week. If I scheduled backup
      >> on
      >> > > the week ends it may not ever happen.
      >> > > The file /etc/timezone has a japanese timezone "export TZ=JST-9"
      >> in
      >> > > it. I changed it to match something in the code that was
      >> looking
      >> > > for a different line. Somebody else saw the same thing.
      >> > > I put "timezone=-8" in the file and then it started keeping time.
      >> > > Now a week later it is still correct. If you don't have that
      >> file
      >> > > make one.
      >> > > If it works for you then document it and put it in the how to
      >> files
      >> > > section. Everybody will continue to ask the same question.
      >> > >
      >> > > Rich
      >> > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
      >> > > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
      >> > > >
      >> > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1"
      >> > > <zanbo@c...>
      >> > > > wrote:
      >> > > > >
      >> > > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
      >> > > > > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
      >> > > > > >
      >> > > > > "Synchronized Time" is the time of day that the LS is
      >> suppose to
      >> > > > > update its time via NTP.
      >> > > >
      >> > > > That's what I guessed, but I don't see any evidence that the LS
      >> > > > actually *does* resync at that time.
      >> > > >
      >> > > > >
      >> > > > > I have firmware 1.44. It doesn't seem to work. J Stewart,
      >> in a
      >> > > post
      >> > > > > Sunday, said he fiddled with some files to get this to
      >> work. I
      >> > > gather
      >> > > > > he no longer remembers how to do this. If anyone knows what
      >> > > files to
      >> > > > > fiddle with, please post.
      >> > > > > [...]
      >> > > >
      >> > > > That's discouraging!
      >> > > >
      >> > > > Dave Kristol
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      >> ADVERTISEMENT
      >> click here
      >> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
      >> D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
      >> p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>
      >>
      >>
      >>
      >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >> *Yahoo! Groups Links*
      >>
      >> * To visit your group on the web, go to:
      >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/
      >>
      >> * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >> LinkStation_General-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >> <mailto:LinkStation_General-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Un
      >> subscribe>
      >>
      >> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      >> Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      >>
      >>
      > Hi ,
      >
      > My time zone is GMT - London
      >
      > I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0
      >
      > root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
      > $
      > $
      > timezone=0$
      > $
      > root@LINKSTATION:/etc#
      >
      > Would this be correct?
      >
      > Best wishes.
      >
      >
      > James.
      >
      >

      Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
      synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
      /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
      time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand yet.
      If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the time
      should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
      /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be your local
      timezone.

      Iain
    • dbossler1
      another day... another 3 minutes. Something else is wrong. Any ideas? ... end.
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        another day... another 3 minutes.

        Something else is wrong. Any ideas?
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
        wrote:
        >
        > No ^M
        > root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
        > timezone=-7$
        >
        > But it didn't work either.
        >
        > I still gained 3 minutes in one day
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
        > <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
        > > irvine_stock wrote:
        > >
        > > >
        > > > Hi Dan,
        > > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
        > > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
        > > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
        > > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
        > > > find out why it matters.
        > > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the
        end.
        > > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
        > > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
        > > > the how to section. :-)
        > > >
      • sjungels
        ... yet. ... time ... your local ... This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly, maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
          wrote:

          >
          > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
          > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
          > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
          > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
          yet.
          > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
          time
          > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
          > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
          your local
          > timezone.
          >
          > Iain

          This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
          maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
          no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
          every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
          happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
          calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.

          If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:

          ---- snip ----
          SHELL=/bin/bash
          PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
          MAILTO=
          HOME=/

          02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
          05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
          ----snip ----

          If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
          with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
          by hand to call it once a week.
        • Rick Flower
          Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails from root , you ll get these nice little emails every time that cron job fires off
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails from
            "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job fires
            off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day forwarded
            to my account....

            -- Rick


            On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:

            >
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >>
            >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
            >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
            >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
            >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
            > yet.
            >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
            > time
            >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
            >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
            > your local
            >> timezone.
            >>
            >> Iain
            >
            > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
            > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
            > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
            > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
            > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
            > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
            >
            > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
            >
            > ---- snip ----
            > SHELL=/bin/bash
            > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
            > MAILTO=
            > HOME=/
            >
            > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
            > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
            > ----snip ----
            >
            > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
            > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
            > by hand to call it once a week.
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
          • sjungels
            ... from ... fires ... forwarded ... Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh to /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh /dev/null
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
              wrote:
              > Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
              from
              > "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
              fires
              > off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
              forwarded
              > to my account....
              >
              > -- Rick
              >
              >

              Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
              /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
              to
              /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

              --Stephen


              > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
              >
              > >
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
              > > wrote:
              > >
              > >>
              > >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
              > >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
              > >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
              sets the
              > >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
              > > yet.
              > >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
              > > time
              > >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
              > >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
              > > your local
              > >> timezone.
              > >>
              > >> Iain
              > >
              > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
              > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
              > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
              > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
              > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
              > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
              > >
              > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
              > >
              > > ---- snip ----
              > > SHELL=/bin/bash
              > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
              > > MAILTO=
              > > HOME=/
              > >
              > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
              > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
              > > ----snip ----
              > >
              > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
              > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
              > > by hand to call it once a week.
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
            • Rick Flower
              Yeah, I knew that, but haven t done it yet.. (8- -- Rick
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                Yeah, I knew that, but haven't done it yet.. (8->

                -- Rick

                On Dec 3, 2004, at 4:59 PM, sjungels wrote:

                >
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                > wrote:
                >> Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
                > from
                >> "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
                > fires
                >> off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
                > forwarded
                >> to my account....
                >>
                >> -- Rick
                >>
                >>
                >
                > Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
                > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                > to
                > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
                >
                > --Stephen
                >
                >
                >> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
                >>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson
                >>> <iain@i...>
                >>> wrote:
                >>>
                >>>>
                >>>> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                >>>> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                >>>> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                > sets the
                >>>> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                >>> yet.
                >>>> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                >>> time
                >>>> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                >>>> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                >>> your local
                >>>> timezone.
                >>>>
                >>>> Iain
                >>>
                >>> This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                >>> maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                >>> no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                >>> every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                >>> happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                >>> calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                >>>
                >>> If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                >>>
                >>> ---- snip ----
                >>> SHELL=/bin/bash
                >>> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                >>> MAILTO=
                >>> HOME=/
                >>>
                >>> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                >>> 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                >>> ----snip ----
                >>>
                >>> If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                >>> with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                >>> by hand to call it once a week.
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
              • dbossler1
                Hey Stephan, The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure) Anyway, this
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hey Stephan,
                  The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                  knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)

                  Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                  will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                  system time, or the RTC?

                  ... Dan

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                  wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > >
                  > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                  > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                  > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                  sets the
                  > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                  > yet.
                  > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                  > time
                  > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                  > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                  > your local
                  > > timezone.
                  > >
                  > > Iain
                  >
                  > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                  > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                  > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                  > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                  > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                  > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                  >
                  > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                  >
                  > ---- snip ----
                  > SHELL=/bin/bash
                  > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                  > MAILTO=
                  > HOME=/
                  >
                  > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                  > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                  > ----snip ----
                  >
                  > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                  > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                  > by hand to call it once a week.
                • sjungels
                  You re welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I m not absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is being set by NTP, but
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                    absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                    being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.

                    Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                    discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                    scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                    haven't come up with anything better, though.

                    -- Stephen

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
                    wrote:
                    >
                    > Hey Stephan,
                    > The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                    > knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)
                    >
                    > Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                    > will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                    > system time, or the RTC?
                    >
                    > ... Dan
                    >
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > >
                    > > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                    > > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                    > > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                    > sets the
                    > > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                    > > yet.
                    > > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                    > > time
                    > > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                    > > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                    > > your local
                    > > > timezone.
                    > > >
                    > > > Iain
                    > >
                    > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                    > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                    > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                    > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                    > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                    > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                    > >
                    > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                    > >
                    > > ---- snip ----
                    > > SHELL=/bin/bash
                    > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                    > > MAILTO=
                    > > HOME=/
                    > >
                    > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                    > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                    > > ----snip ----
                    > >
                    > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                    > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                    > > by hand to call it once a week.
                  • dbossler1
                    how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                    View Source
                    • 0 Attachment
                      how do I tell what the RTC time is?

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                      wrote:
                      >
                      > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                      > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                      > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                      >
                      > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                      > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                      > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                      > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                      >
                      > -- Stephen
                    • sjungels
                      Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same. Then you can read the
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                      View Source
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you
                        changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same.
                        Then you can read the system time simply by typing "date" (but you
                        probably knew that).


                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
                        wrote:
                        >
                        > how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                        >
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                        > > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                        > > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                        > >
                        > > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                        > > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                        > > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                        > > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                        > >
                        > > -- Stephen
                      • Sal D'Anna
                        Hello, Thank you for all the great info. I m new to the list and have a question. Is it possible to have two USB disks connected to the LinkStation? I can t
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                        View Source
                        • 0 Attachment

                          Hello,

                           

                          Thank you for all the great info.  I’m new to the list and have a question.  Is it possible to have two USB disks connected to the LinkStation?  I can’t seem to get it to recognize the second USB drive.  If I try to make a share folder named usbdisk2 it tells me that I can’t use that name so that makes me think that it knows it is there but just won’t link me to it.  The other question I have is why the LinkStation is sharing a printer that does not exist since I have none connected to it?

                           

                          Thanks,

                           

                          SBD

                           


                          From: sjungels [mailto:stephen@...]
                          Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 6:14 PM
                          To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Set time on LinkStation

                           


                          Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you
                          changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same.
                          Then you can read the system time simply by typing "date" (but you
                          probably knew that).


                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
                          wrote:
                          >
                          > how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                          >
                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > You're welcome.  I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                          > > absolutely certain.  My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                          > > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                          > >
                          > > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution.  It creates a
                          > > discontinuity every hour when the time is set.  If you have a cron job
                          > > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all.  I
                          > > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                          > >
                          > > -- Stephen





                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.