Re: Perl for LinkStation 5.8.5 available

  • mkagoston
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
      Thanks JR. That worked.

      Max

      <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > Max,
      >
      > Replace Buffalo with LSMax1.
      > http://LSMax1/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh
      >
      > JR

    • jackfikkers
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
        <ianlawton68@h...> wrote:

        > Thanks to Sam the Perl 5.8.5 release comiled for the LinkStation has
        > been uploaded to my ftp site. If anyone requires access to them
        > please let me know and I will give you the login details.
        >
        > Thanks Sam!
        >
        > Ian

        Hello Ian,

        Is it still possible to get access to the Perl 5.8.5 release?
        If so, I like to have the details to login and download.
        I have the slimserver 5.4.0 up and running with Perl 5.6.1 and would
        like to upgrade Perl.
        Another issue I'm struggling with is a startup script. I found a lot
        of info already and I am using the "skeleton" in init.d to make it
        work but so far no luck.
        Thanks for all the info so far!

        Jack
      • born_daniel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
          Jack,

          I've added my own "slimstart" file to the files section. Please feel
          free to use it and adapt it to your needs. Of course you will need
          to change the directory paths to your own but it should be mostly
          good.

          If you copy this file in /etc/init.d (make sure it's in Unix
          format...), then also create soft-links in the following directories:

          in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d create a soft link named S80slimstart (ln -
          s ../init.d/slimstart S80slimstart)
          in /etc/rc.d/rc6.d create a soft link named K30slimstart (ln -
          s ../init.d/slimstart K30slimstart)

          This will take care of automatically starting and stopping the
          slimserver when you boot-up/shutdown the LS (or Kuro!)

          I also created a soft-link in /usr/local/bin (named slimstart) so I
          can access this script from any location...

          Now I've made this script very versatile because I plan to
          (eventually) integrate its use into the LS' web interface.

          If you just type slimstart with no arguments, it will give you the
          list of arguments you can use:

          {start|stop|restart|reload|status|enable|disable|isenabled}

          start: standard way to start the slimserver. This is used when the
          linkstation boots.

          stop: standard way to stop the slimserver. This is used when the
          linkstation shuts down.

          restart/reload: simply does stop and then start. This is there for
          compatibility purposes.

          status: this will tell you if the slimserver was started with the
          start/restart/reload command and if it is currently running (using
          the 'ps' command). It returns an errorlevel and a text message.

          enable: This will enable the slimserver to be started with the start
          command (see disable).

          disable: This allows to disable the loading of the slimserver by the
          start command. This is usefull when you do not want it to be started
          automatically when booting up the LS.

          isenabled: Returns the status of the enable/disable setting. It
          returns an errorlevel and a text message.

          Here, hope this helps!
          Daniel
          P.S. I will copy this information in the "how-to" section as well...

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackfikkers"
          <jfikkers@h...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ianlawton68"
          > <ianlawton68@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks to Sam the Perl 5.8.5 release comiled for the LinkStation
          has
          > > been uploaded to my ftp site. If anyone requires access to them
          > > please let me know and I will give you the login details.
          > >
          > > Thanks Sam!
          > >
          > > Ian
          >
          > Hello Ian,
          >
          > Is it still possible to get access to the Perl 5.8.5 release?
          > If so, I like to have the details to login and download.
          > I have the slimserver 5.4.0 up and running with Perl 5.6.1 and
          would
          > like to upgrade Perl.
          > Another issue I'm struggling with is a startup script. I found a
          lot
          > of info already and I am using the "skeleton" in init.d to make it
          > work but so far no luck.
          > Thanks for all the info so far!
          >
          > Jack
        • jackfikkers
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
            <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
            > Hello Daniel,
            Thanks for the script. I tried it right away, without any luck though.
            My slimserver.pl file resides in
            /usr/local/slimserver/SlimServer_v5.4.0 so that is what I changed in
            SLIMSERVER_HOME.
            I can't find the "slimserver.conf" file in /etc. But I found a
            ".slimserver.pref" in /root. What does that one do?
            Furthermore the slimserver.log doesn't exist as well in /tmp.
            The /var/lock/subsys/slimserver and /etc/opt slim.disable are missing to.
            The symbolic links in rc2.d and rc6.d are there after I created them.

            I can still start the slimserver by typing:
            perl slimserver.pl after I cd to /usr/local/slimserver/SlimServer_v5.4.0

            So thanks for the help but I not there yet.
            It is probebly something silly I am overseeing but I'm not much of
            linux man yet. But I will get there somehow.

            Jack

          • born_daniel
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
              Jack,

              I did this script a while back so I hope I didn't forget any details
              since...

              I used to have my installation in a folder named as yours but I
              later decided to change it to /usr/local/slimserver so that when I
              upgrade to future versions, I don't end up having to change several
              paths all over... But yes, what you did is correct.

              I believe slimserver will create a new preference/configuration file
              in /etc if it doesn't find one. You can change the env. var. to
              point to your path/file. It's the same thing.

              The log file will be created there automatically, no need to have it
              there before you start it.

              The /var/lock/subsys/slimserver is an empty file and it's there to
              tell if the slimserver was started or stopped. It's not supposed to
              be there when slimserver isn't started from the script. I "inspired"
              myself from somebody else's script that I found a while back and
              adapted it to my needs. I decided to also use the 'ps' command to
              tell if the actual slimserver.pl process is running (and not just
              started)...

              The /etc/opt/slim.disable will only be there if you do not want to
              have the slimserver run automatically at boot up. Otherwise, the
              file won't be there... You might need to create some missing
              directories on you LS if they don't exist...

              Good Luck and let me know if there's anything else I can do... This
              is my first attempt at supplying one of my own scripts with
              a "howto" written on the fly so it might not be ready for "prime
              time" yet... ;-) Any additional steps that you had to take to make
              this work, please let me know and I can make my script and/or how-to
              document better!

              Regards,
              Daniel