Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Starting slimserver on reboot

  • Iain Stevenson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      First step is probably to get a script that will start and stop slimserver
      from the command line. Then you'll need to create some symlinks in
      /etc/rc.d/rc2.d and /etc/rc.d/rc6.d. Try copying the script from below
      (which I hacked from my redhat system running slimserver) and save it on
      the LinkStation as "slimstart" or suchlike. Then chmod 755 slimstart.
      Then ./slimstart start and see if slimserver starts up. Then stop it with
      ./slimstart stop. If that works you can automate the process ...

      I hope this works but unfortunately I don't have slimserver on my
      LinkStation so YMMV.

      Iain

      --On Thursday, December 2, 2004 4:10 am +0000 gotsprings12
      <cnichol@...> wrote:

      > Could there be a: "do this, now this set" of directions for this auto
      > start script?
      >
      > Springs

      #!/bin/bash
      #
      # slimserver.init This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
      # the Slim streaming MP3 server.
      #
      # chkconfig: 345 80 30
      # processname: slimserver.pl
      # config: /etc/slimserver.conf

      RETVAL=0
      prog="SLIMSERVER"

      SLIMSERVER_USER="slimserver"
      SLIMSERVER_HOME="/usr/local/slimserver"
      SLIMSERVER_CFG="/etc/slimserver.conf"
      SLIMSERVER_LOG="/tmp/slimserver.log"
      SLIMSERVER_ARGS="--daemon --prefsfile=$SLIMSERVER_CFG
      --logfile=$SLIMSERVER_LOG"
      SLIMSERVER_BIN="$SLIMSERVER_HOME/slimserver.pl"

      [ -x $SLIMSERVER_BIN -a -f $SLIMSERVER_CFG ] || exit 5

      start() {
      echo -n "Starting SlimServer: "
      $SLIMSERVER_BIN --user $SLIMSERVER_USER $SLIMSERVER_ARGS
      RETVAL=$?
      echo
      [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/slimserver
      return $RETVAL
      # echo_success
      }

      stop() {
      echo -n "Shutting down SlimServer: "
      killall -9 slimserver.pl
      RETVAL=$?
      echo
      [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/slimserver
      return $RETVAL
      }

      # See how we were called.
      case "$1" in
      start)
      start
      ;;
      stop)
      stop
      ;;
      restart|reload)
      stop
      start
      RETVAL=$?
      ;;
      status)
      status $SLIMSERVER_BIN
      RETVAL=$?
      ;;
      *)
      echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
      exit 1
      esac
      exit $RETVAL
    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
        I also tried moving the slimserver script from my redhat box over..
        There are quite a few differences, that prevent it from working. Below
        is the output when the script is run.

        ./slimserver: /sbin/consoletype: No such file or directory
        ./slimserver: /etc/sysconfig/network: No such file or directory
        ./slimserver: [: =: unary operator expected
        Starting SlimServer: ./slimserver: initlog: command not found
        ./slimserver: initlog: command not found
        FAILED]

        Very odd changes from default linux installs. After these are fixed,
        many more items could possibly be different. It may be worth
        completely rewriting the script.

        Jamy

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>