Anyone know if there are 3rd party uberfans that annihilate the stock fan in performance?

  • Arias Hung
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2005
      My drive is generally averaging around 43-45 these days, which is too high for my taste. Ever since having to OEM, the cooling fan doesn't seem to have the same effect as on my first unit where it would bring it down to about 36.

      Anyone know if there are aftermarket fans that can make a significant improvement over the stock fan?
    • prezet2005
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 16, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Arias Hung <arias@m...> wrote:

        > My drive is generally averaging around 43-45 these days, which is too high for my taste.
        Ever since having to OEM, the cooling fan doesn't seem to have the same effect as on my
        first unit where it would bring it down to about 36.

        > Anyone know if there are aftermarket fans that can make a significant improvement over
        the stock fan?

        I'm using a silenX fan - they include a 3rd wire for speed monitoring which the LS
        requires.

        http://www.silenx.com/

        on the site I can't see the 40x10mm version, but I got one off ebay.
      • Anthony Migliore
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 2005
          Do you have any part number or way to reference this item to a vendor?
          IIRC the fan is soldered to the power supply, so you will need to have
          some solder iron skills to replace the fan, right?

          -- Mig

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
            Heres the site I got mine from, contact Paul and he'll be able to help...
            http://www.hybridpc.co.uk/silenxfans.php

            Yes, the original fan is soldered to the power supply. it's really not hard, but get a needle
            ended soldering iron and remove the wires from the original fan (only 3 small points).
            Now, the silenX fans come connected to a male/female 3 pin connector, simply solder the
            wire onto the end of the connector.

            I'm crap at soldering, so if I can do it, trust me YOU can!

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Migliore
            <anthony.t.migliore@b...> wrote:

            > Do you have any part number or way to reference this item to a vendor?
            > IIRC the fan is soldered to the power supply, so you will need to have
            > some solder iron skills to replace the fan, right?
            >
            > -- Mig
            >

            > prezet2005 wrote:
            > >

            > > I'm using a silenX fan - they include a 3rd wire for speed monitoring
            > > which the LS
            > > requires.
            > >
            > > http://www.silenx.com/
            > >
            > > on the site I can't see the 40x10mm version, but I got one off ebay.

          • Lala
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prezet2005"
              <powell.lee.imac@g...> wrote:

              > Heres the site I got mine from, contact Paul and he'll be able to
              help...
              > http://www.hybridpc.co.uk/silenxfans.php
              >
              > Yes, the original fan is soldered to the power supply. it's really
              not hard, but get a needle
              > ended soldering iron and remove the wires from the original fan
              (only 3 small points).
              > Now, the silenX fans come connected to a male/female 3 pin
              connector, simply solder the
              > wire onto the end of the connector.

              I've noticed this particular model sunon fan that claims 8.3 cfm,
              which beats the silentx by 3.3cfm.

              http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/kd1204pfb1-3-86.html

              Plus it's super cheap at $4. Course that's if you factor cooling more
              than noise factor which I do. I think I'm going to go with the sunon
              and see how it goes.