Re: Starting slimserver on reboot

  • gotsprings12
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
      Could there be a: "do this, now this set" of directions for this auto
      start script?

      Springs
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bell" <mike@m...>
      wrote:

      > Cheers Jamy, sounds great.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The easiest way to make this happen is to put a script
      > in /etc/init.d
      > > that runs the commands to start slimserver. This is not the most
      > > secure method as it will run as root, but is probably the most
      > simple.
      > >
      > > Jamy
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bell"
      > <mike@m...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks to all the info on this board, I got my Linstation up and
      > > > going with Slimserver yesterday in just a few hours.
      > > >
      > > > All that's left is starting the linkstation automatically on
      > reboot,
      > > > I've looked but not found, any pointers please?
      > > >
      > > > Cheers,
      > > >
      > > > Mike.
    • Iain Stevenson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        First step is probably to get a script that will start and stop slimserver
        from the command line. Then you'll need to create some symlinks in
        /etc/rc.d/rc2.d and /etc/rc.d/rc6.d. Try copying the script from below
        (which I hacked from my redhat system running slimserver) and save it on
        the LinkStation as "slimstart" or suchlike. Then chmod 755 slimstart.
        Then ./slimstart start and see if slimserver starts up. Then stop it with
        ./slimstart stop. If that works you can automate the process ...

        I hope this works but unfortunately I don't have slimserver on my
        LinkStation so YMMV.

        Iain

        --On Thursday, December 2, 2004 4:10 am +0000 gotsprings12
        <cnichol@...> wrote:

        > Could there be a: "do this, now this set" of directions for this auto
        > start script?
        >
        > Springs

        #!/bin/bash
        #
        # slimserver.init This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
        # the Slim streaming MP3 server.
        #
        # chkconfig: 345 80 30
        # processname: slimserver.pl
        # config: /etc/slimserver.conf

        RETVAL=0
        prog="SLIMSERVER"

        SLIMSERVER_USER="slimserver"
        SLIMSERVER_HOME="/usr/local/slimserver"
        SLIMSERVER_CFG="/etc/slimserver.conf"
        SLIMSERVER_LOG="/tmp/slimserver.log"
        SLIMSERVER_ARGS="--daemon --prefsfile=$SLIMSERVER_CFG
        --logfile=$SLIMSERVER_LOG"
        SLIMSERVER_BIN="$SLIMSERVER_HOME/slimserver.pl"

        [ -x $SLIMSERVER_BIN -a -f $SLIMSERVER_CFG ] || exit 5

        start() {
        echo -n "Starting SlimServer: "
        $SLIMSERVER_BIN --user $SLIMSERVER_USER $SLIMSERVER_ARGS
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/slimserver
        return $RETVAL
        # echo_success
        }

        stop() {
        echo -n "Shutting down SlimServer: "
        killall -9 slimserver.pl
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/slimserver
        return $RETVAL
        }

        # See how we were called.
        case "$1" in
        start)
        start
        ;;
        stop)
        stop
        ;;
        restart|reload)
        stop
        start
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
        status)
        status $SLIMSERVER_BIN
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
        *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
        exit 1
        esac
        exit $RETVAL
      • jamy1975
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
          I also tried moving the slimserver script from my redhat box over..
          There are quite a few differences, that prevent it from working. Below
          is the output when the script is run.

          ./slimserver: /sbin/consoletype: No such file or directory
          ./slimserver: /etc/sysconfig/network: No such file or directory
          ./slimserver: [: =: unary operator expected
          Starting SlimServer: ./slimserver: initlog: command not found
          ./slimserver: initlog: command not found
          FAILED]

          Very odd changes from default linux installs. After these are fixed,
          many more items could possibly be different. It may be worth
          completely rewriting the script.

          Jamy

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>