Getting my hard disk to spin down and cron

  • eykamp
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2005
      Well, it took nearly six months to figure it out why my hard disk
      refuses to spin down for more than a couple of minutes. It appears
      that the fcron daemon I installed on my Linkstation/Kuro/Gentoo box
      pings the disk every few minutes, keeping it spun up.

      For those of you who have been able to get your hard disks to spin
      down, what cron daemon do you use?

      Thanks,

      Chris
    • Frenchy
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2005
        I don't use Gentoo but once you have your HDD stopped you will have
        to chase other processes that write logs to the disk.

        My current approach is too move the log to an USB external RAM
        stick - However my Murasaki is not working well with it... hard to
        recognise or map
        -- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "eykamp" <chris@e...>
        wrote:

        > Well, it took nearly six months to figure it out why my hard disk
        > refuses to spin down for more than a couple of minutes. It appears
        > that the fcron daemon I installed on my Linkstation/Kuro/Gentoo
        box
        > pings the disk every few minutes, keeping it spun up.
        >
        > For those of you who have been able to get your hard disks to spin
        > down, what cron daemon do you use?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chris

      • born_daniel
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2005
          I installed "Cool n' Quiet" on my LS-I and noticed in the logs that
          the disk would spin down after 30 minutes of inactivity and then
          would spin right back up within seconds. I looked into those
          AutoFan* scripts and noticed that it would log spin ups and spin
          downs (wouldn't logging something to a log file cause a write to the
          disk??) so I took it out. Didn't have more time to investigate
          unfortunately.

          Daniel

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "