Re: [LinkStation_General] Help with LS2 HTTP server

  • Nick Pappas
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
      Thanks. I'll check into those when I get back home this evening.

      I didn't set up any specific .deny or .allow files, but perhaps the
      defaults are causing trouble -- or maybe adding a .allow will help.
      Checked the router settings a hundred times though... hit it about a
      hundred more times too. :) I'll double check the gateway setting but
      I'm almost positive it is set, but it has been so long it may have
      mystically removed itself (stranger things have happened).
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas <nwpappas@g...> wrote:

        You need the following for a web server, accessible from the web, on port 81, AFAIK:

        - an ISP not blocking the port
        - a router w/ NAT setup, directing port 81 to your server's IP address
        - the router's firewall must not be blocking port 81/tcp incoming/outgoing
        - the web interface of the router must not be using port 81
        - your /etc/host.{allow,deny} must open enough (or just deleted)
        - the web server serving on port 81
        - probably also add port 81 to /etc/services and reboot

        and last not least, a router firmware w/o bugs. Spent hours and hours w/ a correctly set up
        Zyxel Prestige 660HW-67 until I finally upgraded the firmware... :(

        -Andre
      • Nick Pappas
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
          Thanks Andre.

          I'm pretty sure it's something creeping around in my LS2, since I had
          a working server on my old (big, clunky, ugly, load) server and it
          worked fine. I'll check the file .allow/.deny and services files when
          I get home tonight!

          On 10/7/05, lalunas10 <lalunas10@...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
          >
          > You need the following for a web server, accessible from the web, on port 81, AFAIK:
          >
          > - an ISP not blocking the port
          > - a router w/ NAT setup, directing port 81 to your server's IP address
          > - the router's firewall must not be blocking port 81/tcp incoming/outgoing
          > - the web interface of the router must not be using port 81
          > - your /etc/host.{allow,deny} must open enough (or just deleted)
          > - the web server serving on port 81
          > - probably also add port 81 to /etc/services and reboot
          >
          > and last not least, a router firmware w/o bugs. Spent hours and hours w/ a correctly set up
          > Zyxel Prestige 660HW-67 until I finally upgraded the firmware... :(
          >
          > -Andre

          Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
          yourself either.
          Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.